Religious Tithing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Nothing of the Old Testament law has been done away with. It is still applicable today for the Christian Church. Who shouldn't be eating pork, or breaking the sabbath.

Matthew 5:18
For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
I strongly suggest you read Acts 15, Galatians 2-5, Hebrews 8, and all of Romans. Jesus fulfilled the Law and Christians are not under it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There are two parts to the " Law ".
There is the ceremonial and the civil law.
Then there is the moral law.

The ceremonial law was completed by Jesus. That is why we don't offer animal sacrifices, eat kosher food, make fire, cook etc on the sabbath. ( to a strict Jew, using your phone on the sabbath is making fire and forbidden. )

The moral law, the ten Commandments are still inforce as Christians we obey them as a sign of our love for Jesus.

Jesus showed us that we are to worship in spirit not by keeping to places, times, rituals etc.
There isn’t even a single verse of Scripture suggesting that the Law is so divided. In contrast, Galatians 3:10 and James 2:10 clearly state that the Law is not divided. :)

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
This is such an interesting topic because we do not see Fasting, Tithing, well several things in the New Testament being done by the Apostles. But there's a Book dedicated to the Apostles teachings called the Didache and within those pages we see the Apostles teaching to Fast, and Paying Tithes.

The tithe, one-tenth, is the ideal of stewardship set forth in Scripture in the Old Testament tithe, and in Tradition, represented by The Didache

So somewhere the Apostles either decided or was taught by Jesus and was never written down to Pay Tithes.

Apr 27, 2024
I strongly suggest you read Acts 15, Galatians 2-5, Hebrews 8, and all of Romans. Jesus fulfilled the Law and Christians are not under it.
If everything is accomplished then we must be in heaven, and the Jehovah witnesses are right about Jesus coming back in 1914, right? If not, there is VERY MUCH that still has NOT been accomplished yet.
Saul was a persecutor and murderer of the early church, even though he wrote about a third of the new testament. Saul prevented Peter from eating with the Jews. Saul instituted a policy of apartheid between Jews and Christians.
Jesus hated Saul, so he gave him a thorn in his side... and made Peter the ROCK that he would build his Church on.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If everything is accomplished then we must be in heaven, and the Jehovah witnesses are right about Jesus coming back in 1914, right? If not, there is VERY MUCH that still has NOT been accomplished yet.
Let’s go with what He meant by ‘everything’ and not inject our own ideas.

Saul prevented Peter from eating with the Jews. Saul instituted a policy of apartheid between Jews and Christians.
Jesus hated Saul, so he gave him a thorn in his side... and made Peter the ROCK that he would build his Church on.
None of that is in Scripture. Perhaps you’re reading the wrong book.

Rhomphaeam

Dec 14, 2021
England
www.nblc.church
Saul was a persecutor and murderer of the early church, even though he wrote about a third of the new testament. Saul prevented Peter from eating with the Jews. Saul instituted a policy of apartheid between Jews and Christians. Jesus hated Saul, so he gave him a thorn in his side... and made Peter the ROCK that he would build his Church on.
May I ask you how you formed your view of the apostle Paul?

I mean how did you arrive at a view that would necessarily set Paul into a serious place - almost as an antagonist?

Apr 27, 2024
Luke wasn't an apostle. Neither was Saul. I suggest you re-read Matthew 5:18
"For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."
Notice he says "until" twice? Well, Heaven and Earth haven't disappeared, so the Law is still in effect. You will see during the tribulation the fear people have of the Lord of the Sabbath. They will faint from fear, because they have broken the Law.

Apr 27, 2024
There isn’t even a single verse of Scripture suggesting that the Law is so divided. In contrast, Galatians 3:10 and James 2:10 clearly state that the Law is not divided. :)
Just because there are some extremists who take the Sabbath out of context and say, "you cannot use a cell phone on the sabbath" or "you cannot use a microwave" are all lost souls. The Seventh Day Adventists keep the Sabbath and so should you. Muslims still offer animal sacrifices. Why not keep the gravy train going? Let's bring back the altar at the Temple Mount.

Apr 27, 2024
May I ask you how you formed your view of the apostle Paul?

I mean how did you arrive at a view that would necessarily set Paul into a serious place - almost as an antagonist?
is that a serious question? didn't you read how Jesus confronted Saul on the road to Damascus? He blinded him because Saul was murdering prophets.

Apr 27, 2024
Let’s go with what He meant by ‘everything’ and not inject our own ideas.

None of that is in Scripture. Perhaps you’re reading the wrong book.
Galatians 2

Peter (Cephas) Opposed by Paul
11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he [i]stood condemned. 12 For prior to the coming of some men from [j]James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and separate himself, fearing those from the circumcision. 13 The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not [k]straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?[l]
15 “We are Jews by nature and not sinners from the Gentiles; 16 nevertheless, knowing that a person is not justified by works of [m]the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of [n]the Law; since by works of [o]the Law no [p]flesh will be justified. 17 But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have also been found sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? [q]Far from it! 18 For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a wrongdoer. 19 For through [r]the Law I died to [s]the Law, so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [t]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through [u]the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

Circular logic.

Apr 27, 2024
Think about this for a just a moment. WHY would Jesus say that OUR righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisee's if we are not under the law? WHY would this even be written in the New Testament? If it's over with, then I guess we don't need to go to church anymore, tithe, do any works whatsoever. Right? Because we won! We're in Heaven! Soooo... the "great commission" isn't over with, there are "many" rooms in his Father's house. The number of Gentiles going to Heaven has NOT been completed. The Law is complete, however "everything" else is not.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Galatians 2

Peter (Cephas) Opposed by Paul
11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he [i]stood condemned. 12 For prior to the coming of some men from [j]James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and separate himself, fearing those from the circumcision. 13 The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not [k]straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, “If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?[l]
15 “We are Jews by nature and not sinners from the Gentiles; 16 nevertheless, knowing that a person is not justified by works of [m]the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of [n]the Law; since by works of [o]the Law no [p]flesh will be justified. 17 But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have also been found sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? [q]Far from it! 18 For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a wrongdoer. 19 For through [r]the Law I died to [s]the Law, so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [t]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through [u]the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

Circular logic.
What you call "Circular logic" God calls His word. Take it up with Him.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
I agree with Dino that "tithing" is one of those things that the church has taken out of context. The teaching of it is nowhere in the NT.
That said, My daughter & her husband 'tithe' by setting aside 10% to give to those in need, in or out of the church.
They are blessed, not because not because they're 'tithing', but because they give gladly for the Lord, not because they follow the OT.
God loves a cheerful giver, no matter what name you call the offering.:)
That’s totally good. The key is to hear God just like this example. God will make it easy and appropriate when it’s His will.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
If any of the Verses about Giving would be classified as Tithing from the New Testament it would only be these [3]

1 Corinthians 16:2: On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn.

2 Corinthians 8:5: They gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.

Hebrews 7:1–2: For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, and to him Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything. He is first, by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Salem, that is, king of peace.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
If any of the Verses about Giving would be classified as Tithing from the New Testament it would only be these [3]
I agree that these have been used in support of tithing, but in each case, one must either ignore context or engage in hermeneutical gymnastics to make the case.

: On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn.
The context shows that this collection was for the Church in Jerusalem, which was suffering under a famine at that time. It had nothing to do with supporting the local Church.

: They gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.
The context shows clearly that the issue was support for the continuing ministry of the apostles, and as the various local churches were essentially competing with each other for the privilege, a percentage-wise contribution is inconceivable.

: For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, and to him Abraham apportioned a tenth part of everything. He is first, by translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then he is also king of Salem, that is, king of peace.
This passage is cited commonly by promoters of tithing, but a careful examination of the text shows that it is entirely historical and has no directional component.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
I agree that these have been used in support of tithing, but in each case, one must either ignore context or engage in hermeneutical gymnastics to make the case.

The context shows that this collection was for the Church in Jerusalem, which was suffering under a famine at that time. It had nothing to do with supporting the local Church.

The context shows clearly that the issue was support for the continuing ministry of the apostles, and as the various local churches were essentially competing with each other for the privilege, a percentage-wise contribution is inconceivable.

This passage is cited commonly by promoters of tithing, but a careful examination of the text shows that it is entirely historical and has no directional component.
The Bible is a guide for generations until the return of Jesus.
The Lord's Day will continue each week and we should always give to the Lord first of everything we have. We only have it because He gave it to us.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The Bible is a guide for generations until the return of Jesus.
The Lord's Day will continue each week and we should always give to the Lord first of everything we have. We only have it because He gave it to us.
And it continues that Christians are not required to ‘tithe’.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
And it continues that Christians are not required to ‘tithe’.
It appears they are still required to: On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn.

The real question then: [ The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn.]

Is this based upon 1%, 2%, 3%.....10%.....20%......30%....?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It appears they are still required to: On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn.

The real question then: [ The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn.]

Is this based upon 1%, 2%, 3%.....10%.....20%......30%....?
It is not percentage-based at all, because although it is to be in keeping with our income, it also must consider our needs, which are not equal.

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
Keep in mind that the title of the thread is “Religious” Tithing. This is something completely different than “cheerful” tithing/giving. Some of the posters on this thread have been subject to abusive/ criminal situations where their church took/ demanded a tithe. In my opinion, the could be considered extortion and most likely “fraud” is involved. These leaders should be criminally investigated and prosecuted for these type of actions.