Works and Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
You've done a marvelous job of confusing a simple issue.

Here's the simple version:

We don't get saved by our own effort, period.

Once we are saved, we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to participate in the work of the kingdom.
BINGO!!!!! "Works'" are the PRODUCT of being Born Again, and not the CAUSE thereof.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Your making claims and now your asking questions.

Both the inward sealing for salvation is first then, the fruit will appear over some
period of time.
What claim have I made?

There are some claims I'm going to make, but I was asking questions to understand your position before doing so.

Another question if you are inclined to answer: John the Baptist said Jesus would baptize with fire and the Spirit. What is the baptism of the Spirit John is speaking about?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
What claim have I made?

There are some claims I'm going to make, but I was asking questions to understand your position before doing so.

Another question if you are inclined to answer: John the Baptist said Jesus would baptize with fire and the Spirit. What is the baptism of the Spirit John is speaking about?
John is talking about two baptisms. Baptism with the Spirit; and baptism with fire.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
What do you mean by "an inward operation of the Spirit" and "an outward operation of the Spirit"?
You see throughout the book of Acts the Spirit falling on believers, and that this manifestation of the Spirit is noticed by those in attendance. This is an outward manifestation of the Spirit.
The baptism that the Spirit performs to place a believer into Christ is an inward work that is unobservable.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
What claim have I made?

Baptism with fire and the Holy Spirit occurred on the day of Pentecost.

Notable is the fact that the day of Pentecost took place after Jesus rose.

The apostles believed in Jesus before that day of Pentecost.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Chuckle!! Since the thing that MAKES a person a Christian is the Holy Spirit indwelling them, it's an INWARD thing, obviously.
This is a common misunderstanding. Seals are placed on the outside of letters, and authenticate what is inside.
If the Spirit falling on a believer was an inward manifestation of the Spirit, why are all present aware of it?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Baptism with fire and the Holy Spirit occurred on the day of Pentecost.

Notable is the fact that the day of Pentecost took place after Jesus rose.

The apostles believed in Jesus before that day of Pentecost.
Sure. The baptism with the Holy Spirit is the promise of the Father, that Jesus spoke of.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
You see throughout the book of Acts the Spirit falling on believers, and that this manifestation of the Spirit is noticed by those in attendance. This is an outward manifestation of the Spirit.
The baptism that the Spirit performs to place a believer into Christ is an inward work that is unobservable.
The outward appearance of the Holy Spirit is simultaneously with that inner conviction.

Both occur at the same instant but the outward manifestation is much slower to be
observed.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The outward appearance of the Holy Spirit is simultaneously with that inner conviction.

Both occur at the same instant but the outward manifestation is much slower to be
observed.
Everyone saw the outward manifestation of the Spirit immediately. That's the reason Peter said who could forbid the family of Cornelius from being baptized. The same Spirit that fell on the Apostles at Pentecost had fallen on those of Cornelius's household.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Sure. The baptism with the Holy Spirit is the promise of the Father, that Jesus spoke of.
Once again, you cannot confess Jesus without hearing the gospel.

You cannot confess Jesus without the Holy Spirit.

No one has the ministries of the Holy Spirit without the Holy Spirit.

No one loves others with the divine love that Jesus had.

You receive the Holy Spirit when you first believe in Jesus after hearing
the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Everyone saw the outward manifestation of the Spirit immediately. That's the reason Peter said who could forbid the family of Cornelius from being baptized. The same Spirit that fell on the Apostles at Pentecost had fallen on those of Cornelius's household.
Are you saying that the household of Cornelius already had the Holy Spirit?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Once again, you cannot confess Jesus without hearing the gospel.

You cannot confess Jesus without the Holy Spirit.

No one has the ministries of the Holy Spirit without the Holy Spirit.

No one loves others with the divine love that Jesus had.

You receive the Holy Spirit when you first believe in Jesus after hearing
the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Let's examine your claims.
Peter preaches a sermon the day of Pentecost. In verse 38, he tells some of the hearers to repent and be baptized.

What happened in verse 37 leading up to this?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
When the apostles on the day of Pentecost received the Holy Spirit.

Was there a visible authentication of that reception of the Holy Spirit?

Were the apostles sealed in their salvation, confirmed by Jesus on the
day of Pentecost?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Are you saying that the household of Cornelius already had the Holy Spirit?
That's a complicated question and depends what you mean by having the Holy Spirit.
The reason I began my questions as I did was because I was trying to distinguish between the indwelling of the Spirit referred to in 1 Corinthians 12:13 and the baptism of the Spirit seen in Ephesians 1:13,14.