Things You (or Others Around You Can't Eat) for Unusual Reasons...?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

At a recent mini-meetup with a handful of CC members, we were bombarded with a vast variety of various foods, treats, and condiments that people had brought for everyone to try.

Among the fare was a jar of unroasted cashew nut butter, which had a good flavor but... I could only eat but a taste.

Why?

For whatever reason, I'm often sensitive to certain textures, flavors, and colors in edibles, and while I'm sure this butter had all the best of intentions, a whole jar of it... (to me, at least) had the pale, putrid color of those old apothecary jars storing hosts of mystery organs and species hidden within a mad scientist's lair:

I even picked up the jar to read the ingredients and I'm pretty sure the label said, "May contain brains, kidney, or livers -- partial or whole." :oops:

Needless to say, I stuck with the homemade roasted cashew nut butter, which to me, had a much more appetizing appearance.

I was telling the group that I also can't drink Mountain Dew for similar reasons -- not only am I none too fond of the taste, but to me, Mountain Dew looks like an unflushed toilet in a public restroom -- and I just can't "Dew" it, no matter how thirsty I might be. I've even seen obnoxiously colored lemonade (which I DO like) that I just couldn't drink just because of the color.

* How about you?

* I'm also thinking of parents with kids who might refuse to eat things for what seems to be the most ridiculous reasons, but to the child, it makes perfect sense! :LOL:

* What are the things you or those you know can't or don't eat -- but for somewhat unorthodox reasons? :D

Aug 23, 2024
For me, it's mayonnaise. I like it in tuna, my grandpa's famous potato salad, and macaroni salad, but it just looks like slime on anything else, even inside the jar. Eek.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
For me, it's mayonnaise. I like it in tuna, my grandpa's famous potato salad, and macaroni salad, but it just looks like slime on anything else, even inside the jar. Eek.
I don't really like mayonnaise either, but some foods need it like tuna or chicken salads.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I don't really like mayonnaise either, but some foods need it like tuna or chicken salads.
I know this is going to start a Foodist's Riot, especially those from the Southern USA, but I actually *gasp* prefer the taste of Miracle Whip in tuna/chicken salad rather than regular old mayo. I don't like regular mayo in anything or in any way, shape, or form.

And now I'd better dodge and get off the stage before some well-meaning Foodie tries to "set me straight," mostly likely by throwing something heavy in the direction my head. :oops: (Not that I use it much anyway.) :LOL:

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
For the longest time, and definitely well into my teenage years, I didn't like cooked onions. I would basically remove them from every bite. Now, I like them.

I love Nutella and regular peanut butter, but can pass on the healthy nut butters.

Also, I do not like pate or meat spreads.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Once when I was a kid, mom had a birthday party with strawberry cake and barbecue potato chips. That was the day my system decided to get a particularly virulent (almost violent) strain of stomach virus. I still remember puking off the side of the porch over and over.

For about 14 years after that I was not able to even smell artificial strawberry flavoring or barbecue potato chips. I still loved strawberries, strawberry jam, anything that had real strawberries in it, and barbecue was still delicious. It was just artificial strawberry flavoring in anything, and barbecue potato chips. They would make me feel nauseous.

Eventually it cleared up. I can eat artificial strawberry flavoring and barbecue potato chips again without feeling even slightly queasy.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I have a similar childhood story about fortune cookies - ate too many one day in a short period of time - fast turned into feeling pretty terrible for hours...

And, for the next few decades, just the smell of one would make me a bit queasy. It eventually faded to the point that being around them no longer produced that side-effect; however, to this day I do not eat them.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have a similar childhood story about fortune cookies - ate too many one day in a short period of time - fast turned into feeling pretty terrible for hours...

And, for the next few decades, just the smell of one would make me a bit queasy. It eventually faded to the point that being around them no longer produced that side-effect; however, to this day I do not eat them.
You're not missing a thing. They don't even have fortunes anymore. Just good advice and aphorisms.

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I was telling the group that I also can't drink Mountain Dew for similar reasons -- not only am I none too fond of the taste, but to me, Mountain Dew looks like an unflushed toilet in a public restroom -- and I just can't "Dew" it, no matter how thirsty I might be. I've even seen obnoxiously colored lemonade (which I DO like) that I just couldn't drink just because of the color.
I'm 'Dewing' it. :p

May 26, 2016
I know this is going to start a Foodist's Riot, especially those from the Southern USA, but I actually *gasp* prefer the taste of Miracle Whip in tuna/chicken salad rather than regular old mayo. I don't like regular mayo in anything or in any way, shape, or form.

And now I'd better dodge and get off the stage before some well-meaning Foodie tries to "set me straight," mostly likely by throwing something heavy in the direction my head. :oops: (Not that I use it much anyway.) :LOL:
i grew up on Miracle Whip, and a certain brand of peanut butter. then i got married, and my husband preferred mayo and a different brand of peanut butter. both tasted kinda yuk at first, but i adapted.

now i wanna get a container of Miracle Whip and try it out! i haven't had it in nearly 45 years. :D

with you ALL THE WAY on unroasted cashew butter. i can no longer find a certain kind of cashew butter that didn't add anything (salt, oil), so now i'm particular about what gets added. it's so good on apple slices. also good to put a little in a bowl with peach jam for dipping wheat crackers in.

is it time for breakfast, yet? lol

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
i grew up on Miracle Whip, and a certain brand of peanut butter. then i got married, and my husband preferred mayo and a different brand of peanut butter. both tasted kinda yuk at first, but i adapted.

now i wanna get a container of Miracle Whip and try it out! i haven't had it in nearly 45 years. :D

with you ALL THE WAY on unroasted cashew butter. i can no longer find a certain kind of cashew butter that didn't add anything (salt, oil), so now i'm particular about what gets added. it's so good on apple slices. also good to put a little in a bowl with peach jam for dipping wheat crackers in.

I grew up on Miracle Whip too. Later on, on my own I switched to Helman's mayo. For nostalgia's sake, last year bought a bottle of Miracle Whip. It was about 45 years for me too. After tasting it, I decided that I made the right choice when I switched. For the record, my peanut butter of choice is creamy Jiff. Tried many other brands but this was the best. Puts Skippy to shame for sure. Regarding breakfast, I just had a Jimmy Dean breakfast bowl, with toast with Country Crock and Minute Maid OJ. Got a little on the wild side and bought a container of OJ with pulp. I prefer my jams and jellies to be Smucker's.

May 23, 2009

I'm convinced there's a special place in hell...
Wait a minute.

Does this mean there is a special place in hell for Miracle Whip, or a special place in hell for those who like Miracle Whip?! :oops::LOL:

May 23, 2009
Wait a minute.

Does this mean there is a special place in hell for Miracle Whip, or a special place in hell for those who like Miracle Whip?! :oops::LOL:
Just Miracle Whip... people there will be forced to eat it.
If you know of a similar setup but for chocolate (milk chocolate in particular, which many people I know consider evil) let me know.

I know it's going to be tough, but I'll have to figure out a way to be sent there as soon as possible. :cool:

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
If you know of a similar setup but for chocolate (milk chocolate in particular, which many people I know consider evil) let me know.

I know it's going to be tough, but I'll have to figure out a way to be sent there as soon as possible. :cool:
Milk chocolate is good, but it's increasingly hard to find chocolate cows.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

You are directly against her all the way. She can't stand the stuff.