Flat Earth Controversy - A Challenge to Spherical's Cosmology

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Anyone who travels to the arctic circle in June and the antarctic circle in December will see for themselves that the earth can not possibly be flat.

They must therefore conclude that their "understanding" of the Bible is wrong. This is different from claiming the Bible is wrong.

Until one understands that there is a difference between what one thinks the Bible says, and what God was trying to communicate when it was written, one cannot testify to the truth of what it actually says.

One is placing his opinion above God's truth. I think this might be idolatry.

To know the truth, you must want to know the truth more than want what you know to be the truth. Everything else is distraction, deception or even idolatry.

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016
It was stated in the accompanying article :)
Yes, I understand that.
The fact is, all pictures are composites, so how do we know they are real?
It's not like standing in front of a mirror.
We either believe mankind and change our view of Scripture or we don't.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
It is not a matter of changing our view of Scripture. It is a matter of changing our view of our own mind being able to infallibly discern God's truth and purpose of a given Scripture verse.

Just because we earnestly believe a Scripture verse to say something, that is not proof that it does. One is not questioning the infallibility of the Bible by admitting oneself to be fallible.

Unless and until one does understand just how fallible they are (each one of us), they are not able to testify to the infallibility of God.

They are placing themselves in the place of God. (No insult intended. This is simply my perception of the principle.)

Jan 9, 2016
It is not a matter of changing our view of Scripture. It is a matter of changing our view of our own mind being able to infallibly discern God's truth and purpose of a given Scripture verse.

Just because we earnestly believe a Scripture verse to say something, that is not proof that it does. One is not questioning the infallibility of the Bible by admitting oneself to be fallible.

Unless and until one does understand just how fallible they are (each one of us), they are not able to testify to the infallibility of God.

They are placing themselves in the place of God. (No insult intended. This is simply my perception of the principle.)
Letting modern fake science determine the meaning of the scriptures is a failed attempt at elevating modern fake science over God.

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016

That first sentence is mind boggling.
What are you saying?
That there's no way we can understand anything without first knowing that we are absolutely correct?
I don't think I was talking about that at all.

If you think the Earth is round, then where did you come up with that idea?
The Bible?
No, the Bible doesn't say that.
From mankind?
Yes, I doubt you can claim it was your own idea.
Someone representing mankind told you it was round and you chose to believe it.
But I see in Scripture where it says differently.

A

AboundingGrace

Letting modern fake science determine the meaning of the scriptures is a failed attempt at elevating modern fake science over God.
With respect,.. Neither can it be allowed that someone else define for all what is "modern fake science", anymore than each of us leaves it up to someone else how to interpret scripture, when we are each supposed to rely upon the Holy Spirit of Truth, and therefore each of us to confirm with another what is Truth from God, and what is error from the world, and from the devil.

On some points I would agree that modern science has been faked, but I would not agree that modern evidence concerning the shape of the earth has been faked, not when I've got my own eyes to see for myself, along with my own mental faculties of sound observation concerning the other spherical cosmic bodies to look at, versus the idea that the earth is (for some strange reason) although equally created by God is independently flat.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
I am saying that a person who claims to know what the Bible says without accepting the possibility that they might be wrong is placing their own opinion above the humility God requires for us to actually know the truth of the Bible.

The issue is not ones view of Scripture. The issue is whether or not they are willing to sacrifice their own opinions in order to love and know the Living God better.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Isaiah 40:22 - It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Until one is, not only willing, but desiring, to sacrifice their own deception on the altar of God's truth (as demonstrated through the death, burial, and resurrection of His one and only human born Son, Messiah Jesus), one is not growing in the love and truth of God.

Jan 9, 2016
With respect,.. Neither can it be allowed that someone else define for all what is "modern fake science", anymore than each of us leaves it up to someone else how to interpret scripture, when we are each supposed to rely upon the Holy Spirit of Truth, and therefore each of us to confirm with another what is Truth from God, and what is error from the world, and from the devil.

On some points I would agree that modern science has been faked, but I would not agree that modern evidence concerning the shape of the earth has been faked, not when I've got my own eyes to see for myself, along with my own mental faculties of sound observation concerning the other spherical cosmic bodies to look at, versus the idea that the earth is (for some strange reason) although equally created by God is independently flat.
You have NEVER seen a curved horizon line.

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016
I am saying that a person who claims to know what the Bible says without accepting the possibility that they might be wrong is placing their own opinion above the humility God requires for us to actually know the truth of the Bible.

The issue is not ones view of Scripture. The issue is whether or not they are willing to sacrifice their own opinions in order to love and know the Living God better.
And what side does that place you on this issue?

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016
Anyone who travels to the arctic circle in June and the antarctic circle in December will see for themselves that the earth can not possibly be flat.

They must therefore conclude that their "understanding" of the Bible is wrong. This is different from claiming the Bible is wrong.

Until one understands that there is a difference between what one thinks the Bible says, and what God was trying to communicate when it was written, one cannot testify to the truth of what it actually says.

One is placing his opinion above God's truth. I think this might be idolatry.

To know the truth, you must want to know the truth more than want what you know to be the truth. Everything else is distraction, deception or even idolatry.

And when did you ever travel to the arctic circle in June or the antarctic circle in December so that you would know this?

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016
But you of course can testify to the truth of science?
I for one would not want to challenge God and his word.
I'll leave that up to you.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Until one is, not only willing, but desiring, to sacrifice their own deception on the altar of God's truth, one remains in their deception.

This desire comes from the Holy Spirit. I am not able to convince anyone of anything. So I will desist my posts for now.

AllenW

Apr 20, 2016
Until one is, not only willing, but desiring, to sacrifice their own deception on the altar of God's truth, one remains in their deception.

This desire comes from the Holy Spirit. I am not able to convince anyone of anything. So I will desist my posts for now.
Well, we can't say you didn't try, now can we?

J

Joshua_6

Isaiah 40:22 - It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
So the Earth is round *and* flat. (-:

Status
Not open for further replies.