don't be too Christian! huh?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

ann247

Have you ever been told not to act so 'Christiany'? I don't know exactly how to respond to that. I just want to be me. That's who I am.

U

Ugly

Then be you and if they don't like it, oh well.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
I wonder why they feel the need to tell you how to live. It is quite rude to do so, unless you are trying to save someone from danger. Maybe they think acting like Christ is dangerous?

As far as how to respond, that one is tougher. If you just tell them to stop acting so worldly, they'll probably just get huffy. I hope you're helping these folks in ways you don't realize, just by being a good example.

Feb 10, 2008
Ann,

In my experience this is most commonly just a play on words, or a poorly worded statement. It isn't about behaviors that reflect Christ, but rather a matter of being nice to the point of appearing fake. Most people like sweets, but if you keep eating artificial sweetners, plain, they can become quite abrasive. Christ wasn't fake, He was genuine and at times frustrated and fiery. He said some very controversial things and very intentionally 'stirred the pot.'

Some people incorrectly think that as a Christian they need to be as nice as possible. In truth, they try too hard. Instead of relying on God to work through them, they try to be a ray of kindness all on their own. People see through it, it is a shallow kindness. Not the world-changing love of Christ.

Now I don't know you at all, so is this what they are telling you? I don't know. But I think the fact remains. They don't mean 'stop being so Christ-like'.

T

Tintin

Yes, Ann, I've been told the same but I don't give a flying squirrel what people say about such things. I suggest doing likewise. Unless, the aforementioned posts above relate to your situation. Then, change the way you do things.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

ann247

I had a friend tell me that it gets on their nerves when people get too into Christianity. He's recently saved and says I'm being too pushy. I told him he should be baptized now.I guess I was so excited that he accepted christ I was pushing him to do it. I only did it to help him on his new life. I believe I was genuine about my love for him. I am abrasive sometimes.

U

Ugly

Baptism should be a decision a person comes to on their own. If a person isn't ready to do it it shouldn't be pushed. If they do it because they're pushed into it, then it really means nothing.

T

Tintin

Yes, don't be pushy. Say your bit, with love and then leave the rest to the Holy Spirit and the person's personal choice.

R

Relena7

I had a friend tell me that it gets on their nerves when people get too into Christianity. He's recently saved and says I'm being too pushy. I told him he should be baptized now.I guess I was so excited that he accepted christ I was pushing him to do it. I only did it to help him on his new life. I believe I was genuine about my love for him. I am abrasive sometimes.
By saying not to be too Christiany I wonder if what they really mean has nothing to do with Christianity itself, but rather feeling like Christians in their lives pushed their views on them too much. And they didn't know how to word it, so they clumped it in with Christianity in general.

If you constantly bring up your beliefs around friends who aren't Christians, they might feel a bit alienated or like you are trying to push opinions on them before they are ready, and that isn't polite.

It's good to be true to yourself. But you can't let it get in the way of letting other people be who they are too.
If that's too much work, then that's probably a good sign it's time to find some new friends who have more in common with you.

Aug 2, 2009
There are some christians who go around judging people, telling people that they shouldn't do this or that, or they shouldn't wear certain clothing or listen to certain music, etc... Maybe it has something to do with that. IDK.

O

OceanGrl

I told him he should be baptized now.
I don't think he has to be baptized right now, remember whether he is baptized with water or not doesn't mean he is not saved, for he has been baptized by the Holy Spirit which is far greater. Water baptism is a personal choice he must make on when to do that.

M

MissCris

:confused:

...I've been told I'm being too Cristeny...

Jun 25, 2010
I used to get called a goodie two-shoes all the time. But now after all the gay marriage controversy, and me taking a verbal stand against it in many conversations with people , all I get called now is intolerant. To clarify so no thinks I bash homosexuals: I don't hate lesbians or gays, I just don't agree with their lifestyle.

A

ann247

Yes I realize now I was being pushy. I tried to make it right. I don't want to make anyone feel bad or like they have to do anything. I just wanted to mentor him. We still talk of course but I'm careful with my words. I try to be encouraging.

Jun 25, 2010
Also, I've noticed over time that many lukewarm and stagnant christians get upset with christians who are trying to become more christ-like each day. Do they think that those who strive to be more christ-like everyday should just sin more so that they can feel better about being lukewarm and stagnant? Or are they angry when they see someone being christ-like and realize that that's the way should be living?

N

Nuns_n_roses

You didn't do anything wrong.

Just be you, whoever that is. :)

D

djness

That is the reason why only 12 stayed with Jesus. He was to christian for everyone else. Lukewarm christians hate when people speak the truth more so then those who don't believe.

R

Relena7

Yes I realize now I was being pushy. I tried to make it right. I don't want to make anyone feel bad or like they have to do anything. I just wanted to mentor him. We still talk of course but I'm careful with my words. I try to be encouraging.
It's good to speak the truth and mentor people. And if they directly ask you your opinion on something, be honest how you feel. But they have to come to you for it. They have to want it. :) It will mean so much more to them if they are first open to it on their own.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
Be gentle with new believers. Help them by keeping them attending events and Christian gatherings. They will progress on their own timetable.

Jun 25, 2010
You didn't do anything wrong.

Just be you, whoever that is. :)
You didn't do anything wrong! Now if your convo with your friend looked like this, then maybe you did do something wrong:

ann247: How's it going friend?

ann247's friend: All is good. *smiles*

ann: That's great! So have you decided when you're going to get baptized?

Friend: I've been kind of too busy lately to think much about it.

ann:*frowns* Well I think you should do it as soon as possible.

Friend: I'll think about doing it soon. So how's your daily devotional reading going?

ann: Great! I'm reading about John the Baptist. Did you know he baptized Jesus?

Friend: Yes, I did kn...

ann:
aaa.jpg
lolz