But Jesus only told one person...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Law and Grace, two covenants........I cannot believe how many people do not rightly divide the word and find themselves with all sorts of old covenant requirements dragging them away from GRACE.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Law and Grace, two covenants........I cannot believe how many people do not rightly divide the word and find themselves with all sorts of old covenant requirements dragging them away from GRACE.
Have a bit of grace and understanding to show or explain to them then... the Bible is a book that is best to read in order, today many people cut it up and mess around with it so its becomes a Bible mashup. It would be like you have a three course meal right, but some people think you can eat everything all at once like a buffet. Well when people do that thats when they get indigestion.

Ollyvie

Dec 21, 2018
Jesus did not condemn him about his money but Jesus advised him to help the poor and the needy. Obedience of God's instructions alone is not enough but helping the needy and being compassion is also necessary as a believer

Sep 3, 2016
I was talking with a friend some time ago and the following came up: In Matt 19:16-24, a rich man came to Jesus and asked what he should do to get eternal life. After some discussion about obeying the law Jesus told him to sell all of his possessions and give to the poor. I used this to make the point that as Christians we should not be concerned about making a lot of money or gaining a lot of earthly possessions, but rather we should be more concerned with helping our fellow man, evangelism, etc. My Christian friend responded, that I couldn't possibly mean that because Jesus only told that to one person, and that wasn't meant for everyone, and that he made a lot of money to help the poor, (basically every weak argument against what I was saying. I countered with, Jesus only told one person that he needed to be born again (Nicodemus, John 3:3) and yet we make that the cornerstone of Christianity.

What say ye? Should we only consider (or obey) things that Jesus told to many and disregard the private conversations?
Jesus took care of that at the Cross of Calvary over two thousand years ago. The scripture says, "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might be rich." 2 Cor. 8:9

When the Holy Spirit sees the heart of the Believer is exhibiting Faith exclusively in Christ (Who He Is) and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won (what He has done, i.e., accomplished), the Believer is now humbling themselves by carrying their own cross. Therefore, they receive all the benefits grace and favor.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Have a bit of grace and understanding to show or explain to them then... the Bible is a book that is best to read in order, today many people cut it up and mess around with it so its becomes a Bible mashup. It would be like you have a three course meal right, but some people think you can eat everything all at once like a buffet. Well when people do that thats when they get indigestion.
First thing I did after being born again was to read the bible. Started with Genesis because it made sense to me to start at the beginnng of a book. Read it all but have to admit that I tended to skim a lot at the Chronicles before I learned later that it was a treasure of history. Psalms 119 seemed terribly loooong. Revelation was not a "revelation" because I was too new at this study stuff. I knew nothing of doctrine, I was just learning about God.

First question I asked about something Jesus said in the gospels, I was told about rightly dividing the word....at the cross.
Second thing I just KNEW was true was that God is sovereing over His creation......all of it.
Processing scripture from those viewpoints led me to God's great truths before my beliefs were "formalized" by doctrines or tenets.

So, unless one is willing to do the work there will be only people who speak "christianese" or spoutings from "christianettes" who like being part of a religion but have no real understanding of God's sovereignty or His character.

The bible is its own teacher for those who have the Holy Spirit.
"But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised" 1 Cor 2:14

Mar 28, 2016
I was talking with a friend some time ago and the following came up: In Matt 19:16-24, a rich man came to Jesus and asked what he should do to get eternal life. After some discussion about obeying the law Jesus told him to sell all of his possessions and give to the poor. I used this to make the point that as Christians we should not be concerned about making a lot of money or gaining a lot of earthly possessions, but rather we should be more concerned with helping our fellow man, evangelism, etc. My Christian friend responded, that I couldn't possibly mean that because Jesus only told that to one person, and that wasn't meant for everyone, and that he made a lot of money to help the poor, (basically every weak argument against what I was saying. I countered with, Jesus only told one person that he needed to be born again (Nicodemus, John 3:3) and yet we make that the cornerstone of Christianity.

What say ye? Should we only consider (or obey) things that Jesus told to many and disregard the private conversations?

One thing we should remember is when Christ who is not a man as us appeared as the Son of man Jesus he refused to be worshiped in respect to His temporal flesh. Men were trying to get him to take the unseen of glory of God in respect to his flesh but he gave glory to the father saying only God not seen is good. The work of the Holy Spirit was limited some say completely. in so much that the holy Spirit would not come until he disappeared out of side ,But we know some did know him after the flesh which is not any more possible.

One example to those who are trusting the unseen work of the Spirit is enough. I would ask them why they need more than one example if it is true ? Like in John 21.... there are many things that Christ did that were not written down and if everyone was written the world could not holds the books that could be written . Ones too many a thousand not enough.

Shake the dust and keep offering the gospel. The gospel does the washing of the feet.

Don't learn the hard Peter way >

John 13:7-9 King James Version (KJV) Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

Dec 12, 2013

There is a balance......the guy was rich and trusting into the religion of his day and obviously had great trust in his riches as emphasised by the story of the Rich man and Lazarus or the rich man and bigger barns....He lacked trust into Christ and following Jesus....also....stories such as....if you have two coats give one away to someone who has none etc......The flip side....Solomon said it is of God's hand that we enjoy the fruit of our labor.......as with most of the bible....there is a center line to walk that balances the extremities of both sides of the same coin!

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
There is a balance......the guy was rich and trusting into the religion of his day and obviously had great trust in his riches as emphasised by the story of the Rich man and Lazarus or the rich man and bigger barns....He lacked trust into Christ and following Jesus....also....stories such as....if you have two coats give one away to someone who has none etc......The flip side....Solomon said it is of God's hand that we enjoy the fruit of our labor.......as with most of the bible....there is a center line to walk that balances the extremities of both sides of the same coin!
Very true! But a problem is, that most people walking to one extreme or the other actually think they are walking the middle. That's why left and right don't look for a middle, they think they are it.

Dec 12, 2013
Very true! But a problem is, that most people walking to one extreme or the other actually think they are walking the middle. That's why left and right don't look for a middle, they think they are it.
Honesty with the word and facts = the best choice.......For example.....I RARELY testify like I am about to testify because we are told not to....but as an example.....when I downsized and moved to Mark Twain national forest off grid to my cabin I had a whole house full of everything in Mountain Home Arkansas......I OPENED the doors and let All the poorer people walk thru and take what they wanted.....EVERYTHING.....and what was left I gave to the Red Cross....I have always been generous with what God has blessed me with...both to the church of my membership and the people around me.....And I was able to retire at 45......My view...God blessed me because of all that I have given....

NOTE.....ALL CAN READ MY POSTS...I rarely, if ever say things similar to this because we are not to boast in what we do or say...but for those reading maybe this can be an example!

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Honesty with the word and facts = the best choice.......For example.....I RARELY testify like I am about to testify because we are told not to....but as an example.....when I downsized and moved to Mark Twain national forest off grid to my cabin I had a whole house full of everything in Mountain Home Arkansas......I OPENED the doors and let All the poorer people walk thru and take what they wanted.....EVERYTHING.....and what was left I gave to the Red Cross....I have always been generous with what God has blessed me with...both to the church of my membership and the people around me.....And I was able to retire at 45......My view...God blessed me because of all that I have given....

NOTE.....ALL CAN READ MY POSTS...I rarely, if ever say things similar to this because we are not to boast in what we do or say...but for those reading maybe this can be an example!
Well there ya go, brother, we don't agree on osas or riches but you did the right thing there by opening the doors to the poor. It's funny, God says in the end He will call His Bride into the wilderness, and He's taking us to farmville Minnesota. You're right, you have to give to get, and too many people don't understand that any more.

Merry Christmas!

(Now let's go see what stupid thing you wrote in the other thread ;)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
First thing I did after being born again was to read the bible. Started with Genesis because it made sense to me to start at the beginnng of a book. Read it all but have to admit that I tended to skim a lot at the Chronicles before I learned later that it was a treasure of history. Psalms 119 seemed terribly loooong. Revelation was not a "revelation" because I was too new at this study stuff. I knew nothing of doctrine, I was just learning about God.

First question I asked about something Jesus said in the gospels, I was told about rightly dividing the word....at the cross.
Second thing I just KNEW was true was that God is sovereing over His creation......all of it.
Processing scripture from those viewpoints led me to God's great truths before my beliefs were "formalized" by doctrines or tenets.

So, unless one is willing to do the work there will be only people who speak "christianese" or spoutings from "christianettes" who like being part of a religion but have no real understanding of God's sovereignty or His character.

The bible is its own teacher for those who have the Holy Spirit.
"But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised" 1 Cor 2:14
Well thats good see even you skipped some bits there are people who may just dont have the time, but pray for them not to take shortcuts and just be gentle with them and encourage them to focus on reading the Bible. I dont see any profit in putting people down all the time just to exalt oneself...if people arent reading the Bible and only looking at church manuals and getting doctrine from that then yes thats a worry but you just focus on what God has shown you not what everyone else is getting wrong.

Dec 22, 2018
Isn't there something about the early Christians all living together and all their property was shared. And somebody didn't sell all their stuff but held some back. He fell down dead, or something like that? I read it in the Bible somewhere?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Just curious, do you know what the eye of the needle actually was? It IS actually possible for a camel to pass thru, it's just extremely difficult.
Yes. I have heard the interpretation that the "eye of a needle" was a very small opening in a city wall that a camel had to scrunch down and crawl, and WORK to barely make through. I utterly and completely reject it!

This is a WORKS doctrine interpretation.

We know Jesus made this statement as a figure of speech to convey that it was an IMPOSSIBLE feat, merely by the Apostle's reaction.

But mainly because the Greek LITERALLY means the eye of a sewing needle. The tiny opening WORKS interpretation didn't even come into being for over a thousand yrs after Jesus Resurrection.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In was thinking on this as out christmas shopping yesterday, everyone was shopping mostly for food to eat on christmas day to celebrate Jesus birthday but the shops always try to lure you in to buying gifts too i.e possessions..theres this one store called the Warehouse and it has everything cheap and always stocked with a lot of things mostly that you dont need kind of like Walmart in america. Well these .warehouse stores are HUGE and everywhere, they are like the barns in Jesus parable they just keep buidling more and more to store all the stuff...how can anybody fit all that stuff into their modest homes? And will you take it with you to heaven? Think not...there are baggage restrictions!

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

That passage was as an example to all of us showing that we could not perfectly keep the law as it should
When his disciples heard [it], they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? But Jesus beheld [them], and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:25-26 KJV)
This accords with Romans 3.

BTW, even with Nicodemus even though Jesus was speaking only to him at the time, it applies to all of us. "Unless 'one' is born again he shall not see the Kingdom of God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Isn't there something about the early Christians all living together and all their property was shared. And somebody didn't sell all their stuff but held some back. He fell down dead, or something like that? I read it in the Bible somewhere?
Yes... this comes from two different parts in Acts: chapter 2:43-44 and chapter 4:32-5:11.

The sin of Ananias was not keeping part of the money for himself, but rather claiming that what he gave was the full amount (see Acts 5:3-4). This is implied in Peter's words to Ananias, and confirmed in his words to Sapphira, the wife of Ananias.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I was talking with a friend some time ago and the following came up: In Matt 19:16-24, a rich man came to Jesus and asked what he should do to get eternal life. After some discussion about obeying the law Jesus told him to sell all of his possessions and give to the poor.
The whole point of this narrative was not that wealth is evil but that covetousness is idolatry. This man was breaking the first four commandments pertaining to God, although he claimed that he was observing the last six. Regardless he was asked to turn away from his idol (repent), but he loved his wealth more than God or salvation. Even more importantly he failed to see who Christ really is, and receive Him as Lord and Savior. He also had the false idea that one can inherit (or earn) eternal life, when it is a gift of God's grace.
I used this to make the point that as Christians we should not be concerned about making a lot of money or gaining a lot of earthly possessions, but rather we should be more concerned with helping our fellow man, evangelism, etc.
Christians are not to be covetous and make wealth one of their idols. At the same time, since money is neutral, it can be effectively used for helping others, and for propagating the Gospel. So wealth is not evil, but the LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Yes that happened..

The account is in the Book of Acts chapter 5

Acts 5: KJV
1 "But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, {2} And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’ feet. {3} But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? {4} Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. {5} And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things."

Why did you mention this incident ?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
On the donkey it’s quite rich in meaning and the reasons for it is found in the Bible here’s just one.

1 Sam 9
3 One day the donkeys of Saul’s father Kish wandered off. So Kish said to his son Saul, “Take one of the servants and go look for the donkeys.”
One of the donkey's knew how to talk too.