The Pope is coming to ruin Philly's weekend

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

atwhatcost

Obama stops by occasionally. GW did before him. Clinton came once or twice. Almost didn't vote for GHW the second time because he showed up at rush hour on the way home from work in one of the buildings I needed to pass. (A half hour 6 mile drive became and hour and a half six mile drive.) They shut down part of the roads for them when they come from the airport up into the city.

The Boss clogged my neighborhood one night. (Loud enough that he serenaded while I took a shower. lol) The 2008 Phillies clogged my neighborhood on Halloween night. The Mummer's parade? 12 hours of entertainment. If you have to go out of town, leave the night before and don't come back until it's night out.

BUT, the pope? He's "specialer" than that. We have three bridges coming in from Jersey. Two will shut down, so the only bridge is the one about a mile from us. We won't be able to drive anywhere.

Transportation? Sure. There was a lottery for "pope tickets." 350,000 tickets. 1/3rd of the people who generally come into the center of our town to work. The only businesses that will be open will be commercial (stores and eateries) and motels. Motels are happy campers. Not enough room for everyone coming, so they're opening up the NJ (a battleship) as a B & B. Need a lawyer? Tough. Got problems with your apartment? Tough. You can stay in your apartment that weekend, but you can't leave Center City. Need to see your shrink? Tough. Need a hospital? Better pray you can get to one below or above the Center City without ever crossing through. No vehicles except emergency vehicles. Need a cop? I hope the criminals will be kind enough to commit their crimes on those coming to see the pope, because that's where the cops will be. A woman told the mayor she was expected to have her baby that weekend. He said he'd get back to her, after they figured out what they can do. Want to see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, anything in Olde City? Tough. Need to go to City Hall? Hire a helicopter... oh wait. Restricted airspace.

They say they're treating him like a head of state. Whoa! What's the President of the United States -- chipped beef? I guess Prince William and his Dad don't really count as heads of states.

We've had World Series celebrated here. We've had the Republican Convention here. (I waved at the guy they were going to nominate as he drove by while I was out for a walk. Never did see GW, but I waved.) We've had The Tall Ships parade. We had the biggest party in 100 years on July 4, 1976. We have free concerts with the likes of Jazzy Jeff, Beyonce, The Roots, John Mayer, Elton John, Lionel Ritchie, John Legend, and others.

We have never had this mess! If you were planning on going up or down I-95 September 25th-28th and going through Philly, DON'T! They're blocking you, and you can only cross over to Jersey on one bridge.

On a humorous note, I have to see a doctor every other month in Center City. My next appointment was in September, but I don't care the pope is coming, so I forgot to check when he was getting here. I asked the Intern if he knew anything about the pope coming. He got flustered. (Two minutes earlier we were talking about my constipation, and he thought that was okay, but got embarrassed talking a pope coming was past his comfort zone? lol) Then he started yammering about he's not very spiritual. (Glad I wasn't evangelizing. lol) I had to laugh and tell him I just didn't want the appointment when the pope was in town.

A

AgeofKnowledge

V

Viligant_Warrior

What have celebrities got in for you, AWC? Who'd you piss off?

Aug 10, 2015
I will be in your wonderful city to see the Pope. Its a rare occasion. Sorry your city is freaking out

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We'll get the ACLU down their quick, perhaps they'll stop the visit due to a Pope-Mobile on public property...the separation of Church and State angle :p

A

atwhatcost

I will be in your wonderful city to see the Pope. Its a rare occasion. Sorry your city is freaking out
Really? Even if I were still Catholic I wouldn't like that guy.

A

atwhatcost

We'll get the ACLU down their quick, perhaps they'll stop the visit due to a Pope-Mobile on public property...the separation of Church and State angle :p
ACLU might well be here. Apparently the LGBT community isn't allowed to protest the pope.

(This thing was something our mayor -- who isn't even Catholic -- cooked up by a few official visits to VC. Same guy who tried to get the Olympics here, which would have changed the entire landscape of my part of the city and left us with even more useless buildings. I was so thankful that didn't happen. We wouldn't have been able to go anywhere for the entire length of time of the Olympics. Whew!)

Aug 11, 2015
I'm not Catholic and I really respect this man. I'm happy to say that I follow him on Twitter XD But really, he is more Christ-like than the past Pope.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Why? Because Francis is compromising with the politically powerful and wanton homosexual cardinal and priest contingent that ran Benedict XVI out of office?

I'm not Catholic and I really respect this man. I'm happy to say that I follow him on Twitter XD But really, he is more Christ-like than the past Pope.

Aug 11, 2015
Last edited:
A

AgeofKnowledge

Codewit is in Abuja, Nigeria. I can't find any original source supporting the assertion he actually said what Codewit is asserting and the only article they link to is this one (I've used Google translate to present it in English):

https://translate.google.com/transl...uti-dorovingi-kaip-ir-katalikai.htm&edit-text=

As you can see, it's the old controversial 2013 article but he certainly is NOT asserting what Codewit said he is there. I'm calling foul on that so-called Codewit "article" because it looks like a clear fabrication to me.

That said, yes Francis is compromising with the politically powerful and wantonly immoral contingent of homosexual cardinals and priests which drove his predecessor to retire. But he's yet to lead the Roman Catholic Church into such egregious immorality and apostasy as "homosexual marriage."

Let's hope that day does not come.

A

AgeofKnowledge

So FluffyPancakes, are you going to kiss my feet?

V

Viligant_Warrior

My perception is he preaches a social gospel, often over Christ, so I'm afraid I can't agree with this assessment.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Obama stops by occasionally. GW did before him. Clinton came once or twice. Almost didn't vote for GHW the second time because he showed up at rush hour on the way home from work in one of the buildings I needed to pass. (A half hour 6 mile drive became and hour and a half six mile drive.) They shut down part of the roads for them when they come from the airport up into the city.

The Boss clogged my neighborhood one night. (Loud enough that he serenaded while I took a shower. lol) The 2008 Phillies clogged my neighborhood on Halloween night. The Mummer's parade? 12 hours of entertainment. If you have to go out of town, leave the night before and don't come back until it's night out.

BUT, the pope? He's "specialer" than that. We have three bridges coming in from Jersey. Two will shut down, so the only bridge is the one about a mile from us. We won't be able to drive anywhere.

Transportation? Sure. There was a lottery for "pope tickets." 350,000 tickets. 1/3rd of the people who generally come into the center of our town to work. The only businesses that will be open will be commercial (stores and eateries) and motels. Motels are happy campers. Not enough room for everyone coming, so they're opening up the NJ (a battleship) as a B & B. Need a lawyer? Tough. Got problems with your apartment? Tough. You can stay in your apartment that weekend, but you can't leave Center City. Need to see your shrink? Tough. Need a hospital? Better pray you can get to one below or above the Center City without ever crossing through. No vehicles except emergency vehicles. Need a cop? I hope the criminals will be kind enough to commit their crimes on those coming to see the pope, because that's where the cops will be. A woman told the mayor she was expected to have her baby that weekend. He said he'd get back to her, after they figured out what they can do. Want to see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, anything in Olde City? Tough. Need to go to City Hall? Hire a helicopter... oh wait. Restricted airspace.

They say they're treating him like a head of state. Whoa! What's the President of the United States -- chipped beef? I guess Prince William and his Dad don't really count as heads of states.

We've had World Series celebrated here. We've had the Republican Convention here. (I waved at the guy they were going to nominate as he drove by while I was out for a walk. Never did see GW, but I waved.) We've had The Tall Ships parade. We had the biggest party in 100 years on July 4, 1976. We have free concerts with the likes of Jazzy Jeff, Beyonce, The Roots, John Mayer, Elton John, Lionel Ritchie, John Legend, and others.

We have never had this mess! If you were planning on going up or down I-95 September 25th-28th and going through Philly, DON'T! They're blocking you, and you can only cross over to Jersey on one bridge.

On a humorous note, I have to see a doctor every other month in Center City. My next appointment was in September, but I don't care the pope is coming, so I forgot to check when he was getting here. I asked the Intern if he knew anything about the pope coming. He got flustered. (Two minutes earlier we were talking about my constipation, and he thought that was okay, but got embarrassed talking a pope coming was past his comfort zone? lol) Then he started yammering about he's not very spiritual. (Glad I wasn't evangelizing. lol) I had to laugh and tell him I just didn't want the appointment when the pope was in town.

Lynn I feel your pain. I do love Philly though.