Reading the entire Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
Have you read the entire Bible? If so, in what way did you read (start to finish, NT then OT, etc.)? What was your biggest gain after reading the whole Bible?

If not, what is stopping you from reading the entire Bible? When do you plan to read the entire Bible? Do you think it is important to read all of the Bible?

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
For me, reading it straight through didn't work very well since I would get bogged down in like Leviticus or Numbers, feeling board and starved for something more appropriate to where my current needs were. Instead I printed an online worksheet that had a little box for every chapter of the Bible. As I felt led, I would read whatever seemed appropriate and then color in the box for whatever I happened to read that day. Of course the harder parts got left to the end and so was slower, but its not like I had to only read what was left. I simply made a point to read some of it along the way until it was done.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
Have you read the entire Bible? If so, in what way did you read (start to finish, NT then OT, etc.)? What was your biggest gain after reading the whole Bible?

If not, what is stopping you from reading the entire Bible? When do you plan to read the entire Bible? Do you think it is important to read all of the Bible?

Getting started and sticking to it is the hardest part when you decide to read it.
I've followed the different plans that you check off for yourself. They are good for not getting bogged down and discouraged with genealogies when you haven't gotten to the point of just doing it.
I usually prefer to read chapters from the OT and NT at the same time.
Other times I just start with Genesis until I get to Revelation.
It's not so much HOW you do it, but rather THAT you do it.

My choice is the King James Bible.
The Holy Spirit guides and directs through it all the time. I never noticed that with the critical text newbie versions.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
I'm on my third year of the One Year Bible Reading online with Molly Sparling. I put on the close caption so I can read along with her. It's great because we read the OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs ea day for about 15-25 minutes. There are other styles of this reading also to look at. Of course I also read the Bible, I have 2 study groups going through different parts of the Bible. that take much research.

Aug 5, 2021
I decided I would read the entire Bible this year. I started in Genesis and will end in Revelation. I have read most of the entire Bible but had not read some of the OT. I was in the hospital for just over two weeks and read Genesis through Psalms. There was nothing to do but read, so I usually read up to eight hours per day. Praise God, I am well and at home now. I enjoy listening to my Bible player at night and am fairly sure I have listened to the entire Bible. I have grown in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. This has been my biggest gain. I do think it is important to read the entire Bible so that one may grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (KJV 2 Timothy 3:16-17) "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
For me, reading it straight through didn't work very well since I would get bogged down in like Leviticus or Numbers, feeling board and starved for something more appropriate to where my current needs were. Instead I printed an online worksheet that had a little box for every chapter of the Bible. As I felt led, I would read whatever seemed appropriate and then color in the box for whatever I happened to read that day. Of course the harder parts got left to the end and so was slower, but its not like I had to only read what was left. I simply made a point to read some of it along the way until it was done.
yes, it is easy to get bogged down in the O.T.

the good news is that the more you read the Bible all the way through, the easier they are to get through..

Jul 23, 2024

I have read it a few times, all of them in order from the Genesis to Revelation. When I was a teenager, I read it just because I wanted, I don't know why. Now I use the daily devotion plan from Intouch.org but there are other plans to read it in one year in other pages like Bible.com or the android and iPhone app from the same people (YouVersion app).

Following a devotion plan is the easy way to doit, because you feel it like an obligation.

Mar 6, 2023
Have you read the entire Bible?
Yes, multiple times, honestly don't remember how many?
My personal discipline is 4 chapters a day.
I also started with Genesis and followed to Revelation.
The O.T. is for sure a patience builder, difficult for me until I
started translating the names of people and places.

The Living Word -- lifetimes of 'takeaways' for me currently Jesus is taking me
into a deeper dimension of revelation, and warfare prayer.

I also agree with Nicolas, if I don't read I just am not prepared for the day !!

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA

The Daily Bible (chronolgical).

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I decided I would read the entire Bible this year. I started in Genesis and will end in Revelation. I have read most of the entire Bible but had not read some of the OT. I was in the hospital for just over two weeks and read Genesis through Psalms. There was nothing to do but read, so I usually read up to eight hours per day. Praise God, I am well and at home now. I enjoy listening to my Bible player at night and am fairly sure I have listened to the entire Bible. I have grown in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. This has been my biggest gain. I do think it is important to read the entire Bible so that one may grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (KJV 2 Timothy 3:16-17) "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."
Amen!
Glad you made it out of the hospital alive. Do everything you can to learn how you and your family can help you through any future challenges at home. It is normally much safer to be cared for by people who love you. The Lord is kind. He will show you a way. May your love for God's Word grow and grow!
📖🙂👍

>The Patriot Nurse<

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
Thanks all for responding.

I have read most of the NT and some of the OT. I would like to read the Bible cover to cover, which I have started several times but get bogged down in the OT. The checklist idea sounds great.

I have heard that miraculous things happen while reading the Bible. Has anyone experienced this? For instance, someone told me an issue she was dealing with was resolved after reading a particular verse.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Prior to having received the Holy Spirit, I was never able to complete a sentence while attempting to read the Word. I always loved Jesus Yeshua, but I never understood much, basing my belief on one simple aspect of truth, from the sone, Jesus loves me. This had been my "doctrine" up until I was 28.

It was Good Friday, I was walking across the Quadrangle of the U of Il., Champaign-Urbana, the day after a very SPECIAL night of seeking. I was thinking Godward, "Gee, man is terrible, man is really bad, etc, " when in an instant, I realized something, thinking, becoming aware, and said, "hey, I am a man! Wow, YOU are It!" Everything became a beautiful yet, blinding Light, and theLight came into me.

That night I was at a coffee house, practically in a stateof pure wonder, and the Holy Spirit moved upon me to enter a door for employees only. Upon entry I espied a blue book lying opened, face down on a table. I picked it up and began to read, and as I read I was thinking how everything was true written in that particular chapter. I looked at the top of the pace, and it read Isaiah.. I closed the Book and on the front was written, Oxford Study Bible.

As soon as I could I went to the Student Book Store and purchased on for
myself. Although my graduation was but a few weeks away, I could not leave the Book. I read Isaiah first, then Revelation, after which I read everything. Then, for three years I continued with the Book in had in three states, spending my summers camping in the Rockies. I must have read that particular version four or five times, and since have read and settled upon the KJV, however I also read the RSV and several other versions in order to have a decent base.

Life has been wonderful in Jesus Yeshua ever since. May all be as blessed as I have been. In Jesus Yeshua always...

It was not until I was in my late 60's early seventies that I also read the Word in Hebrew, having already read it in part is several languages. None of alll this reading in itself makes me sperior to the most humble of believers, but it has bee a great comfort for when guided by the Holy Spirit.

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
I have read the entire Bible several times. I'm unsure of how many times. I read scriptures every morning.
I sometimes start with the NT and sometimes I start with the OT. For newbies to the Bible, I believe it is definitely best to start with the NT.
Biggest gain...well, reading the Bible is just very rewarding. I feel better equipped in life when I consistently read scriptures.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
I prefer to not read he Bible straight through. For me, I would miss many of the wonders and mysteries that are woven throughout God's word. I "bunny hop" at every opportunity. Reading the prophets, for example, requires an understanding of Torah and I find myself frequently bouncing around for inter-connections that add much to my understanding. While reading the Gospels I find myself in the prophets, writings and Torah that all point forward to Yeshua.

Over the years I have read the entire Word. It probably took longer but the richness and beauty that shows through have been worth it to me.

Jul 23, 2024
Thanks all for responding.

I have read most of the NT and some of the OT. I would like to read the Bible cover to cover, which I have started several times but get bogged down in the OT. The checklist idea sounds great.

I have heard that miraculous things happen while reading the Bible. Has anyone experienced this? For instance, someone told me an issue she was dealing with was resolved after reading a particular verse.
I personally have not experienced any miracles after reading it, partial or the whole Bible. Sometimes you get to the exactly verse that you need when you are in a difficult situation or when you made a question to God and you feel like He is talking to you through that verse, that´s all. But I have heard of people who were unbelievers and were sick and who, after reading some verse, they believed, were instantly healed, and were saved. I think that God does those types of outstanding miracles, especially to unbelievers, so that they believe and be saved.

The best thing you get is knowledge and respect for God. I know that the OT books can be a bit boring and difficult to understand, especially the law book like Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy and all those genealogy chapters and things like that, but from Job onwards, the good and interesting things begin.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have found my attitude toward Bible reading is critical to my success. Schedules and quotas don't really help.

If I approach it as, "this is something Christians are supposed to do so I guess I should get it done" it turns bible reading into an interminable slog that I must endure.

If I approach it as, "I need to work on these tools that will help me in life..." It's not so much of a slog. It's not exactly enjoyable, but not quite as bad.

If I approach it as, "I need to work on these tools that will help people around me" I can actually get into reading my Bible and enjoy it. Lots of people I know need what is in there, and there are many ways I can apply what I find in the Bible to interacting with people around me.

It's also a lot easier to do what the Bible says when I keep in mind that I am trying to help people instead of hurt them. For one thing it becomes a lot easier to hold my tongue in many situations.

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021

This is what I do..
I follow the Torah reading cycle during the year (Genesis through Deuteronomy) every Friday morning. This will be whatever the reading schedule is for that week.

During the week, I'll read the other parts of the "Old Testament".
When I finish that, I'll start with Matthew and read until Revelation.

Its my preferred way of reading through the Bible.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Yes..

If so, in what way did you read (start to finish, NT then OT, etc.)?
I read it from start to finish..

What was your biggest gain after reading the whole Bible?
Becoming a saved Christian.. I was not a Christian when i started to read the Bible but was a Christian by the time i read it..

Do you think it is important to read all of the Bible?
Yes i think it is extremely important to read the Bible because there are a lot of false preachers out there who lead a lot of people down false paths, people who are very vulnerable to being decieved because they lack knowledge of what the Bible actually reveals on many topics in regard to the Faith..

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes. But not at one sitting. The Bible was not meant to be read at one sitting, or even within one week. Reading it from cover to cover will not be really helpful. But reading portions or certain books at a time is more beneficial. Or even certain chapters, or certain passages. Even more importantly, reading, then studying, then properly interpreting, then applying what was read to oneself is what the Word of God is about. In many instances, using legitimate Bible study tools might be necessary.

Also, the purpose of each books should be understood. For example, the book of Ecclesiastes was never meant to establish any doctrine, particularly Christian doctrine. It shows Christians how the natural man -- the man without God -- thinks. Some of it is true, and much of it is false. To be "under the sun" is far different that to be "under the Son'.