Prophecy For The Now

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
1Cor 14:1b . . Eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

The Greek word translated "prophecy" is somewhat ambiguous. It basically
pertains to foretelling future events, but it also pertains to inspirational
speakers whose content is stimulating, supporting, and motivating.

For example:

1Cor 14:3 . . Everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their
strengthening, their encouragement, and their comfort.

This kind of prophecy is sort of like roadside assistance equipped to jump
start your car's weak battery and/or fix a flat tire to get you back on the
road. This kind of prophecy is very useful seeing as it's for the now rather
than later because the now is where most of us spend our lives from day to
day, week to week, and month to month.
_

SonJudgment

Jun 25, 2024
Well a prophecy is still a foretelling of the future. This is encouraging because it is vindicating. Prophecy is terrible for the wicked, but for the righteous prophecy is a great encouragment because it means that God will certainly take vengeance upon the wicked, it means the truth will certainly not be extinguished, it means our salvation is assured. Prophecy always encourages the faithful and always makes the wicked angry because the ultimate future is that the wicked will not escape the wrath of God and the righteous will not be forsaken but will be saved by Jesus.

tedincarolina

Jul 25, 2024
but it also pertains to inspirational
I would disagree with that. The Scriptures speak of themselves as being 'inspired', not 'inspirational'. Inspired, as the Scriptures use the term is to receive knowledge from the Holy Spirit.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

For example:

_
Good to hear from you friend in the risen Son, thank you, you have and do encourage me too as many here do that too, thanking everyone in God's truth given and revealed to us to see truth over error(s) of this world we all are in and not of anymore. If our growth has matured to this seeing
therefore

Matthew 10:16-20

Living Bible

6 “I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. Be as wary as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 But beware! For you will be arrested and tried, and whipped in the synagogues. 18 Yes, and you must stand trial before governors and kings for my sake. This will give you the opportunity to tell them about me, yes, to witness to the world.
19 “When you are arrested, don’t worry about what to say at your trial, for you will be given the right words at the right time. 20 For it won’t be you doing the talking—it will be the Spirit of your heavenly Father speaking through you!

presidente

May 29, 2013

One can be stimulating, supporting, and motivating without prophesying.

For example:

My understanding is that this is what prophesying does, not what prophesying is.... the function of prophesying, not the definition of it.

Peter wrote of prophecies of old that holy men of old spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Ghost. Prophesying is speech given by the Spirit. Romans 12 lists teaching, exhortation, and prophesying as separate gifts. I Corinthians 12 lists prophets and teachers separately.

In I Corinthians 14, 'revelation' is associated with prophesying. If a revelation comes to one sitting by, the speaking prophet must hold his peace for ye may all prophesy one by one....

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
As someone with a prophetic gift, there is a lot of oversimplification of prophecy on this page though it looks like people are giving it an honest look and have some good points.

First off, foretelling is only one type of prophecy. Much of prophecy is about understanding the spiritual factors behind something, such as a person's motivations for what they speak or what they are feeling. Real Prophets focus mostly on calling others to repentance; this may or may not include foretelling. For example, in the Old Testament, there is a chapter of how God's heart is hurt by sin. And don't forget that Prophets also make proclamations that affect the future rather than necessarily observing it. This is more akin to parenting your child with love affecting the future then it is to foretelling since the exact manifestation isn't necessarily spelled out even if God sometimes uses Prophets that way too.

Second, while it is good to point out that teacher and prophet/Prophet are different callings (I wish the same would be more often done for pastor and teacher, BTW), actual instances of calling can be more complicated. I happen to have elements of both these gifts because God uses me like a Swiss army knife to meet people where they are. I know several others who also have a mix of prophecy with something else.

Plus much prophecy is not just word for word from God, but rather God drops a deep understanding into the prophet's mind who then teaches/explains what God has shared. For example, God one day gave me insight into how Satan had introduced relational dysfunction into my family when my siblings and I were very young. It wasn't words but concepts that I could then explain as the need arose. Real Prophets (the capital letter indicates office not just gifting) can basically do anything God calls them to, as Elijah calling down fire to consume the sacrifice, or raising the dead.

As for what a prophet is, it's someone who speaks for God, so it is hard to define without mentioning function. I guess you could say they are God's voice.

BTW, while the mix of callings and definition come from my own experience and my current fellowship, the other points I have made here are basically consistent with what I was taught at my neighborhood Christian University several years before I knew I had this gift and calling or knew anyone who did. My point being that these are fairly well accepted ideas among Pentecostal Christians, though I encourage all to test things for themselves rather than relying solely on tradition or consensus.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
As someone with a prophetic gift, there is a lot of oversimplification of prophecy on this page though it looks like people are giving it an honest look and have some good points.

First off, foretelling is only one type of prophecy. Much of prophecy is about understanding the spiritual factors behind something, such as a person's motivations for what they speak or what they are feeling. Real Prophets focus mostly on calling others to repentance; this may or may not include foretelling. For example, in the Old Testament, there is a chapter of how God's heart is hurt by sin. And don't forget that Prophets also make proclamations that affect the future rather than necessarily observing it. This is more akin to parenting your child with love affecting the future then it is to foretelling since the exact manifestation isn't necessarily spelled out even if God sometimes uses Prophets that way too.

Second, while it is good to point out that teacher and prophet/Prophet are different callings (I wish the same would be more often done for pastor and teacher, BTW), actual instances of calling can be more complicated. I happen to have elements of both these gifts because God uses me like a Swiss army knife to meet people where they are. I know several others who also have a mix of prophecy with something else.

Plus much prophecy is not just word for word from God, but rather God drops a deep understanding into the prophet's mind who then teaches/explains what God has shared. For example, God one day gave me insight into how Satan had introduced relational dysfunction into my family when my siblings and I were very young. It wasn't words but concepts that I could then explain as the need arose. Real Prophets (the capital letter indicates office not just gifting) can basically do anything God calls them to, as Elijah calling down fire to consume the sacrifice, or raising the dead.

As for what a prophet is, it's someone who speaks for God, so it is hard to define without mentioning function. I guess you could say they are God's voice.

BTW, while the mix of callings and definition come from my own experience and my current fellowship, the other points I have made here are basically consistent with what I was taught at my neighborhood Christian University several years before I knew I had this gift and calling or knew anyone who did. My point being that these are fairly well accepted ideas among Pentecostal Christians, though I encourage all to test things for themselves rather than relying solely on tradition or consensus.
It is to me, to edify, see truth in each person given you from God to see it, where the error in thier beleif is, and not from self ever INMHO
I have seen Spiritual cookie cutters, out for themselves to get people in and these do tell the truth, yet do not do the truth, this is done, to get others in with them. Then I have seen these proselytes those gainsayers got in and made these twice the sons of hell as themselves, workers of iniquities these are themselves. This was going on in Christ's day here on earth in the flesh. Still happening today.
So be made wise as a serpent and remain harmless as a dove, God reveals God too those that are sincere and want nothing for themselves, yet God gives them much as God did for Solomon, just saying in response awareness is needed, for me at least, as I like what you have said. Trusting God for the right motive behind what you say, and this is the same for me to only do Luke 21:14-15 And I am still in process like Paul in Phil 3:12-20

CS1

May 23, 2012

For example:

_
the word Prophesying contextually in 1cor 14 prophēteuō in the Greek, which also means to speak under the inspiration and Notices in chapter 14. Prophesying has a Specific application that is not foretelling.

In verse three :

But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
  1. oikodomē = building up or edifying
  2. paraklēsis = instructive, admonitory, conciliatory, powerful hortatory discourse very much the same as the Comforter paraklētos in John 14
  3. paramythia = consolation, comfort

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
It is to me, to edify, see truth in each person given you from God to see it, where the error in thier beleif is, and not from self ever INMHO
I have seen Spiritual cookie cutters, out for themselves to get people in and these do tell the truth, yet do not do the truth, this is done, to get others in with them. Then I have seen these proselytes those gainsayers got in and made these twice the sons of hell as themselves, workers of iniquities these are themselves. This was going on in Christ's day here on earth in the flesh. Still happening today.
So be made wise as a serpent and remain harmless as a dove, God reveals God too those that are sincere and want nothing for themselves, yet God gives them much as God did for Solomon, just saying in response awareness is needed, for me at least, as I like what you have said. Trusting God for the right motive behind what you say, and this is the same for me to only do Luke 21:14-15 And I am still in process like Paul in Phil 3:12-20
Yes indeed, discernment is very important. I know a Prophet who got a prophetic word that even if a word is technically true but the source is off, then the word is off. Just like when Satan quoted the Bible to Jesus, source matters. And Satan can and does make some pretty darn convincing forgeries if you aren't tuned into God and discerning the spirit of someone/something. When God turned Moses' staff into a snake, Pharaoh's magicians were able to do the same. And sometimes healings can even be faked by Satan removing his spiritual oppression from someone.

Also of note, God always does things with purpose, which is something a lot of churches have gotten off by failing to recognize. Some of the things that go on in some Pentecostal churches look like foolishness because they are. That said, there certainly can be good ones too. Though I was too much of a newbie to the subject to appreciate it at the time, my university seemed to be pretty sound that way though they had other issues. An example of them having things right was when a student spontaneously prophesied over the student body early in the school year, the pastor followed it up by taking a moment to recognize the validity of it but also suggested that such things would not be expected to take over the functioning of the school chapel meeting. I didn't appreciate this fully until one day a possessed person showed up at my church service and kept interrupting others' meaningful sharing until she was called out for it. It was apparent that something was off because as it says in 1 Corinthians 14:31-33,

"[31] For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; [32] and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; [33] for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints."

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Yes indeed, discernment is very important. I know a Prophet who got a prophetic word that even if a word is technically true but the source is off, then the word is off. Just like when Satan quoted the Bible to Jesus, source matters. And Satan can and does make some pretty darn convincing forgeries if you aren't tuned into God and discerning the spirit of someone/something. When God turned Moses' staff into a snake, Pharaoh's magicians were able to do the same. And sometimes healings can even be faked by Satan removing his spiritual oppression from someone.

Also of note, God always does things with purpose, which is something a lot of churches have gotten off by failing to recognize. Some of the things that go on in some Pentecostal churches look like foolishness because they are. That said, there certainly can be good ones too. Though I was too much of a newbie to the subject to appreciate it at the time, my university seemed to be pretty sound that way though they had other issues. An example of them having things right was when a student spontaneously prophesied over the student body early in the school year, the pastor followed it up by taking a moment to recognize the validity of it but also suggested that such things would not be expected to take over the functioning of the school chapel meeting. I didn't appreciate this fully until one day a possessed person showed up at my church service and kept interrupting others' meaningful sharing until she was called out for it. It was apparent that something was off because as it says in 1 Corinthians 14:31-33,

"[31] For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; [32] and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; [33] for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints."
this is why
Matt 10:16-20 so important along with Luke 21:14-15
Be wise as a serpent, which truth of that can only come from God, the Father of Son, who Son only listened to every morning in prayer, getting his instructions daily for the day at hand.
Then Luke, settle it in self, by son on the cross you are reconciled, Forgiven in that shed blood of his, over animals, that God was never satisfied in.
Settle that in self in thanksgiving and praise and trust God tom teach you what too say, whenever, wherever, however to whomever, as
God always knows best I assuredly do not.
I knew of a person years back, who went to Pentecostal Church and saw all the speaking in tongues and the people saying hey you got the spirit and are saved. This person one day made up their own tongues and spoke what he made up. The elders, priest and others got excited and said he had got the Spirit and is now saved
He walked away, knowing it was a lie as they did not kn ow it and revealed thier true selves in the flesh nature, not born new as claimed
This is happening in all denominations, preferring tens, twenty, 100 hundred dollar bills in the offering plate
Ten Dollar, twenty dollar and more, whatever the denomination. As God even if were alive, and is alive, just not here on earth in Son as risen for now
Therefore if were, God would not be in any earth Church, claimed to be God's Hebrews 8
There is so much confusion, in this world, people talking out of two sides of their mouth
Hey, I am forgiven by God on that cross of Son.
Then I asked one where are you going? they said to Church to get forgiven. I replied I thought you just said you are forgiven by God
I am comes the reply,. I say then why are you seeking more forgiveness? Because I sinned again and I got to quit, so I need more forgiveness that what is done on that cross for me.
So you do not believe God in Son then. Reply, was oh yes I Do, I said in as said in John 1:29?
Well there do you sin, he said to me? I said not right now, yet I beleive as fast as any sin is past it stays forgiven by God for us, in Son to us.
Unfortunately people think they need more reconciliation, forgiveness. Son's did not take it all away, everything but unbelief.
The sin of deat is unbelief and one tryin g to do it themselves in under Law, the same as the first chosen tried and failed
Such a conundrum. God saw we can't, so god did it put place for us by Son to us, it is finished, John 19:30 fro new .life to get given us in the risen Son for us

Edify

Jan 27, 2021

Most of the OT prophesying was warnings & judgment.
One thing that catches my eye of the OT prophets was it always had purpose & order. So should NT prophecy.
I've heard so many say that God is pleased with the church & knew immediately it was false, because the church is as a whole is falling away to doctrines of devils.
I expect to see/hear more true prophecies in the last days knowing God will do nothing till He has spoken to/thru His prophets.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Most of the OT prophesying was warnings & judgment.
One thing that catches my eye of the OT prophets was it always had purpose & order. So should NT prophecy.
I've heard so many say that God is pleased with the church & knew immediately it was false, because the church is as a whole is falling away to doctrines of devils.
I expect to see/hear more true prophecies in the last days knowing God will do nothing till He has spoken to/thru His prophets.
Are there anymore prophets today in these last days. God has spoken to us through Son, it is done the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets about Son’s coming here
is it not completed for us by Son on that cross the reconciliation. The deck cleansed by Godinorder to give new life to this thatchoose belief and not let go of it

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Matthew 5:17

New International Version

The Fulfillment of the Law
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

John 19:30

30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

‘now risen to believe, is risen, where new life is given, and we prophesy of what is done once for everyone to stand in belief, thankfulness, since not one other is perfect but God
Col 1:21-23, then Col 2

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Hebrews 1

God’s Final Word: His Son
1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
Are there anymore prophets today in these last days. God has spoken to us through Son, it is done the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets about Son’s coming here
is it not completed for us by Son on that cross the reconciliation. The deck cleansed by Godinorder to give new life to this thatchoose belief and not let go of it
Yes, howbeit mostly minor ones. Read Acts 2. The fulfillment of that prophecy is still happening in the church because it was to the church for the church. There's no scripture saying otherwise.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Yes, howbeit mostly minor ones. Read Acts 2. The fulfillment of that prophecy is still happening in the church because it was to the church for the church. There's no scripture saying otherwise.
Okay, the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets about Jesus are fulfilled are they not?
Yes there is more to come. yet wha tis done by Son for us is done to have new life in. his risen Life given us from Father is it not?
The first harbinger in History I see is when the Temple got destroyed in AD 70 and then the people rebuilt this as. new Church building to go to to meet God
that is a lie. God came to first die once for us all to cleanse the deck on that cross to give us new life in each one of us that believe God, as God knows who do and who do not, I rest in that.
we the people are the Church Actually the Ecclesiastes, the called out ones, God lives in us now, Those that God makes new in his love and mercy of Son given them to do love and mercy to all, not a few as the flesh only knows how to only love those that, love them back.
If you only love those that love you back, what good is that, even the unbelievers do that. How are you any different than the first born evil flesh?
I am a part of the true Church, God built, not man

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
Please test all things for yourself, but God has indicated in my tiny corner of the world that there are Prophets again because it is time. And do not take any man's word that they are one, but rather test them with God. One clue is that it is about function, not self-glorification.

Realize, though, that Prophets too are fallen people who are still being perfected just like any other follower of God. Consider Jonah and Nathan (when he mistakenly told David to go ahead and build the temple) in scripture, for example, or even Elijah when he got discouraged. And there is a place to give honor to whom honor is due (1 Tim. 5:17-18, 1 Thess. 5:12, Romans 13:7), though this is certainly not limited to Prophets.

Christ's coming here to die on the cross for our sins was certainly an important and integral part of God's plan, but it was far from the end. We now have eternal life in Christ Jesus available to us, but the world is still a fallen and deceptive place that keeps people ignorant and far from God. There are therefore more steps in God's plan of restoration before we get to the New Jerusalem - the new heavens and earth, where God wipes away all tears and the last enemy to die is death.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
‘now risen to believe, is risen, where new life is given, and we prophesy of what is done once for everyone to stand in belief, thankfulness, since not one other is perfect but God
Col 1:21-23, then Col 2
First off, just to be sure we are on the same page here, I read your last Bible quote (repeated above) as talking about what was done (Jesus dying on the cross) having happened once, not that it was prophesied only once.

Second, when I tried to look up your quote, it was not Colossians 1:21-23, though that might possibly be related. In fact the words prophecy and prophesy don't appear at all in the book of Colossians according to my Bible search app. I therefore tried to do an internet search for it but it didn't come up. In fact I kept getting referred to the book of Mormon, though even that didn't look like what you wrote.

Therefore, can you please check your reference and editing? Make sure the quotation marks are in the right places. And if you are translating from another language, could you please note the language?

Thanks.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Please test all things for yourself, but God has indicated in my tiny corner of the world that there are Prophets again because it is time. And do not take any man's word that they are one, but rather test them with God. One clue is that it is about function, not self-glorification.

Realize, though, that Prophets too are fallen people who are still being perfected just like any other follower of God. Consider Jonah and Nathan (when he mistakenly told David to go ahead and build the temple) in scripture, for example, or even Elijah when he got discouraged. And there is a place to give honor to whom honor is due (1 Tim. 5:17-18, 1 Thess. 5:12, Romans 13:7), though this is certainly not limited to Prophets.

Christ's coming here to die on the cross for our sins was certainly an important and integral part of God's plan, but it was far from the end. We now have eternal life in Christ Jesus available to us, but the world is still a fallen and deceptive place that keeps people ignorant and far from God. There are therefore more steps in God's plan of restoration before we get to the New Jerusalem - the new heavens and earth, where God wipes away all tears and the last enemy to die is death.

you get it, no first born flesh nature can please Father, God of Jesus. Test the Spirits, for their are evil spirits, surrounding outside of the Heavens, been kicked out of the inner courts, doing their best to keep anyone of us out. For us, the people, to not see we are now free to enter God's courts with praise and thanksgiving of Son, Jesus for us. Psalm 100:4, 103:12

It is doen for us to now being made able to enter free. John 19:30, then the resurrected Son for us to now enter free of charge forever, in thanksgiving to God and praise to the done work of Son. Without the done work of Son, there is no chance for anyone, and the First treatment proves this truth. No on e could ever do any Law perfectly ever but Son who did it in love to us all,, because God Father does sincerely, love us, so deeply we can sin all one decides to sin? Yes I said can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That takes away the commandment to not do, does it not? How much fun is any sin, when you are allowed to sin?
A license to sin. Yeah, anyone can think this is what I am preaching, it is, that is the freeing part from underneath Law that steals, kills, and destroys people. Frees one from being stressed out and not ever being their true self, that God originally made from the dust of the ground in the first Adam, before ever eating from the tree of good and evil.
A new heart of flesh God gives us once a one turns to God in trust to God personally, gets this gift of Ezekiel 36:26. The new heart given in the risen Son, Jesus fro them to walk new and not of the first born self anymore, at least begin new in learning how to and not of self. So watch out fro those of the flesh that get people to go under Law to do to please those leading them, which is not God doing it, is my honest view from God. I see to not have anymore Job counselors, nor to go against those that are not seeing the truth yet either
God takes in all, good and evil and works all out for us the people to see the truth of good and evil. then people, choose to stand in belief to God or not, consciously. As each person knows within themselves whether or not they believe God or not. God sees the motive of each. This is why God will choose who enter. The motives!

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
First off, just to be sure we are on the same page here, I read your last Bible quote (repeated above) as talking about what was done (Jesus dying on the cross) having happened once, not that it was prophesied only once.

Second, when I tried to look up your quote, it was not Colossians 1:21-23, though that might possibly be related. In fact the words prophecy and prophesy don't appear at all in the book of Colossians according to my Bible search app. I therefore tried to do an internet search for it but it didn't come up. In fact I kept getting referred to the book of Mormon, though even that didn't look like what you wrote.

Therefore, can you please check your reference and editing? Make sure the quotation marks are in the right places. And if you are translating from another language, could you please note the language?

Thanks.

Authorized (King James) Version

21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he
reconciled

22 in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23 if ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Verse 22
By the death, we are reconciled (Forgiven) forever. presented Holy. What? But I have sinned again, What?
Yes that be what is said, that is what I see, anyone else can see whatever they want to see and make it ambiguous

Verse 23: IF you continue in belief to this truth given you in verse 22 from God Father by Son.
Now note this:
The Word If in the English translated from Greek can and sometimes means Since.
Now I see this, since I believe God in risen Son for me that all sin got taken out of the way on that cross for me, and everyone else also (John 2:1-12), everything but "Unbelief"
The done work of Son is a response in thanking God, not a work as is taught to be by religion of this world we all are in. Which promotes self works of flesh and to make amends by paying tithes and being forgiven by their priests, Not!!!!!!!!
God did it, I stand in this truth
Paul was and is against religion, how so?
He was a religionist, known as Saul, who saw Stephan get stoned to death, willingly from Stepahan's view as he was stoned, he continued to praise God. Saul who was there, saw this person, Stephan go to his death willingly. Just as Jesus did, When Jesus went to that cross
Then the road to Damascus, and he knew after seeing truth for real, and learned new
Then said in Phil 3 to put no trust in self or anyone else of religion. And if anyone wants to say hey look at them, Paul says he did it better than anyone else
God just loves you, and everyone else too, God in Son is our propitiation for all sin, that is done once on that cross, once for everyone to be reconciled, forgiven forever from Father to us all through Son, it is done. Then risen where new life gets given to each in belief to God personally
Who will not quit, will not deny God at all, no matter what troubles one might get in or be in.
Hoping, you get this as we each are growing up in maturity, that only God gives to each as God chooses to.
We are like a Cherry tree, many cherries hanging off the vines, branches, some ripe to pick, others not yet ripe enough, some just sprouted. Yet every cherry is a perfect cherry on the day it was born. needs to get ripened just as we the people need that too, at least me daily