News Forum Addiction

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Susanna

Apr 14, 2023
Galveston and Houston
Hi, my screen name is Susanna and I’m an addict.

Even if I don’t want to I have to post in the News Forum. I feel bad about myself for slinging mud and even enjoying it. How can I stop this addiction from happening?

Suggestions are appreciated.

😁

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
As with any addiction, it will be tough to kick as long as you like it. If you do stop, you will only stop grudgingy and you will always wish you could go back.

From what I have observed, any addiction is only really kicked when the addict gets fed up enough with the side effects that he just decides he doesn't want to take it any more. In the case of drama addiction, expressed in the News Forum, it might be when you can no longer take a higher dose of blood pressure medication. :p

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well... That WOULD be effective.

Kinda like when my great-uncle Harvey had chapped lips, and he was out plowing in the field, and at the end of every row he would pull the mule's tail up and kiss its butt. Kept him from licking his lips, he said.

But, like kissing the mule's backside, your solution is probably not going to be used because it is too extremely undesirable.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Hi Susanna. Welcome to our group therapy session.

We all are in our own 12 step program but I'm still having a problem getting past that first step.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Well... That WOULD be effective.

Kinda like when my great-uncle Harvey had chapped lips, and he was out plowing in the field, and at the end of every row he would pull the mule's tail up and kiss its butt. Kept him from licking his lips, he said.

But, like kissing the mule's backside, your solution is probably not going to be used because it is too extremely undesirable.
Welp, I think I made the first post with reference to the WSJ, ever. Just saying, it doesn't shy away from calling their articles 'opinion' and everything in writing is considered only 'speculating.' They can project that a 2 might turn into a 3, or a 1, but they can't say it isn't a 2 because 2 is always 2, gnahwhadahmeen?

This chart shows that 130% of people agree.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018

Even if I don’t want to I have to post in the News Forum. I feel bad about myself for slinging mud and even enjoying it. How can I stop this addiction from happening?

😁
Maybe this will help: “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment", Mt 12:36. This verse comes to my mind when I start to go off the rails, unless you want to repent after every heated slur you let loose🙏😂

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

😁
if you are a person in authority & power, maybe that's why you are that way. do unto others as you would have them do unto you. start thinking deeper in what you say before you say it. i made up a system long time ago for an individual to best correct faults: get a body length mirror, take all your clothes off, stand in front of that mirror for 10 minutes & within 2 to 3 minutes, you are going to think of thoughts you never thought of about yourself! at 10 minutes you are going to see a load of guilt. now, remember those thoughts forever, activate wisdom & condition the corrections for life long.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009

😁
Set a timer. Allow yourself a set number of minutes per day to read and post on news forums.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011

😁

Hey Miss Susanna! :giggle:

Whenever I find myself doing something I'm not sure I should be doing, I like to stop and ask myself why I am doing it.

You mentioned that you enjoy posting in News. Sooo.... WHY do you enjoy it? Do you love a rousing debate? Do you feel like it's your one shot at saying what you REALLY think about the state of things? Is it like an escape for you? How do you feel after spending time there, drained or energized? Is it possible that it's ok for you to keep posting there, you just need to work on your tone and civility? (I have no idea if you need to work on those things or not, I usually stay outta the news forum lol).

Anyways, just thoughts! :cool:

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Hey Miss Susanna! :giggle:

Whenever I find myself doing something I'm not sure I should be doing, I like to stop and ask myself why I am doing it.

You mentioned that you enjoy posting in News. Sooo.... WHY do you enjoy it? Do you love a rousing debate? Do you feel like it's your one shot at saying what you REALLY think about the state of things? Is it like an escape for you? How do you feel after spending time there, drained or energized? Is it possible that it's ok for you to keep posting there, you just need to work on your tone and civility? (I have no idea if you need to work on those things or not, I usually stay outta the news forum lol).

Anyways, just thoughts! :cool:
Well...ok. But do we really have to drag tone and civility into this?

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Well...ok. But do we really have to drag tone and civility into this?
Lol yes, because this is a thread ABOUT the news forum, but it's IN the Singles forum. Pop on over to the BDF and I'll call ya a heretic :cool::p

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
....and, @Snackersmom, kudos for using anyways (with an s.) Like there's more than one anyways. Could be a hunded anyways bandying about. That's just adoreable!

17Bees

Oct 14, 2016
Lol yes, because this is a thread ABOUT the news forum, but it's IN the Singles forum. Pop on over to the BDF and I'll call ya a heretic :cool::p
A heretic? Do you ever put words together and come up with something the word doesn't mean at all? Like heretic.....I'm picturing a rabbit that uncontrollable yells out cuss words. Isn't that crazy? It happens to me all the time.