Jesus as the spiritual "Bridegroom" of our Soul: for singles especially.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2021
India
Dear friends, in many Bible passages, Jesus or the Word refers to Him as the Bridegroom: "He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made full." (Jn 3:29)

And: "And Jesus said to them, “The attendants of the bridegroom cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast." (Mat 9:15)

Incidentally, another Biblical proof that Jesus is God, because only God is the Bridegroom of every soul. In Isaiah, it says: "For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth." (Isa 54:5)

For single people especially, what is your understanding of the view that Jesus Christ is to be the Bridegroom of our Soul? I guess Nuns, and other Single Women, would be able to understand this better than us guys, as it might be easier to love Jesus as your Spiritual Bridegroom if you're a woman. Thoughts?

Thoughts from a Nun on this: "But Can God Really Be Enough?

Is God really enough? Can God really satisfy? I would simply like to turn those questions around. How could God not be enough? How could God not satisfy? He's our creator. He created all things. He is love. He is the source of all life and love. "Your Maker is your husband" (Isaiah 54:5). God is "realer" than we are. We are only real because He is real and He sustains us in existence. "In him all things hold together" (Colossians 1:17). He is a personal God who became human for us and gave his life for us because he loves us and now has a human face forever. Life is short. We come from God and are going back to God. What was your question again? ...
3. God is the spouse of every person. 4. No one is called to be all alone. Not singles. Not hermits. We are called to be with God and others according to our vocation. 5. We're all heading to the wedding feast of heaven; we're all "engaged" to God." An American Nun, her name is Sr. Helena Burns, F.S.P. Article here: https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/forum/what-is-it-like-being-married-to-jesus

Thoughts? God Bless.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
*Lynx pokes his nose out of his hermit den, looks around, then pops back in his hole and shuts the door firmly.

Oct 6, 2022
It is not good to be alone, but it is better for God alone be our husband, which in my opinion means our authority, provider, friend, and more. I would even say a husband is like a king. A study on what husbands should do with respect to the differences between God and mortal men (such as the fact that God has authority of both Himself and us, but the mortal husband does not have authority over his own body (1 Corinthians 7:4)) might help understand God's role as a husband in our lives in my opinion.

regarding intercourse, note what Paul does and does not recommend

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good to abstain from sexual relations But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

1 Corinthians 7:5
Do not deprive each other, except by mutual consent and for a time, so you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again, so that Satan will not tempt you through your lack of self-control.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9
Now to the unmarried and widows I say this: It is good for them to remain unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Yes, God is our Husband, however temptation remains a real threat and He clearly is not going to have intercourse of that sort with us, therefore if we choose to live without that sort of intercourse with humans, which He kindly created humans for in part , we should have the kind of self-control Paul meant there. Also note that Paul is speaking to people who have been born again.

Oct 6, 2022
It is not good to be alone, but it is better for God alone be our husband, which in my opinion means our authority, provider, friend, and more. I would even say a husband is like a king. A study on what husbands should do with respect to the differences between God and mortal men (such as the fact that God has authority of both Himself and us, but the mortal husband does not have authority over his own body (1 Corinthians 7:4)) might help understand God's role as a husband in our lives in my opinion.

regarding intercourse, note what Paul does and does not recommend

Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good to abstain from sexual relations But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

1 Corinthians 7:5
Do not deprive each other, except by mutual consent and for a time, so you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again, so that Satan will not tempt you through your lack of self-control.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9
Now to the unmarried and widows I say this: It is good for them to remain unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Yes, God is our Husband, however temptation remains a real threat and He clearly is not going to have intercourse of that sort with us, therefore if we choose to live without that sort of intercourse with humans, which He kindly created humans for in part , we should have the kind of self-control Paul meant there. Also note that Paul is speaking to people who have been born again.
forgot a period after "relations, I apologize :)

Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good to abstain from sexual relations. But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
Interesting topic.

So is this a "it's better to be single than married" thread?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Interesting topic.

So is this a "it's better to be single than married" thread?
Hard to tell. I think it started out more as a, being single isn't so bad because you have jesus, thread. But we seem to be making a concerted effort to make it a, it's better to be single than married, thread.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Nun generally live in a convent with other nuns (or sisters) so they are rarely alone.

THough some people have this strange idea that single people always live alone.