How can we get closer to God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 2, 2024
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

What else can be done, barring turning into a schema monk and giving up everything.

Aug 23, 2024
"The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! "

Jun 30, 2015
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

What else can be done, barring turning into a schema monk and giving up everything.
Welcome to CC.

You say, "Pray" first, which is good. People have different ideas on what that means. What are yours?

May 10, 2011
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

-If there is unrepentant sin in your life, root it out.

-Ask Jesus to fill you with the Holy Spirit.

-Ask God to let you do a project with Him that will further His kingdom, then hold on for a wild ride! 😎

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

Hi jacko,

A very good desire. Ask the Lord to show you a step at a time things that are blocking your closer walk with the Lord. When something is highlighted, repent, ask for forgiveness and thank the Lord that more of self is coming away.

This is the journey till we go to be with Him.

Apr 16, 2015
LOL Jacko!!! Brother here is a very fine question I asked myself once!! While praying and fasting after 3 days here is what I got! Inside Holy Spirit spoke " My son how much time do you spend with your best friend on earth?? The Lord wants at least equal time with you! Before you do anything like shop or go out to eat, do you not include your friend is what he or she would like to do?

The Lord wants to be included in EVERY part of your life! When you know someone cares more for you than anyone on this earth, would you not give that person preference over any other person?? Love clings, it melts together as one person, to let your light shine before others Jesus must be lit in your heart."

Brother that brought GREAT UNDERSTANDING!! May these words also bring this to you as well! He does not need you to be a monk!! LOL He just wants you to know how you need him! The Lord himself did what he did because even God has a need to be needed! Just as we all do! Blessing my brother!

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

Believe God is closer than your own hands and feet. Believe that you live and have your being in God. We can stop believing incorrectly that God has separated Himself from us and is distant from us.

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

Having the desire to having a close relationship with God. I believe that this is the first step. Definitely pray, read the bible, and asking God for the courage, strength, and wisdom in applying spiritual principles and concepts in one's everyday life.

Sep 18, 2024
Being closer to God it depends on the relationship you have with him. We do experience God in different ways, but mostly common way is the time that we spent with him, there are certain levels that we suppose to reach, where the word of God is living inside our heart, prayers is our daily routine and fasting is the part of our lives. If you have a good relationship with God, you will be able to analyze which level does God categories you.

Oct 24, 2012
1) Pray
2) read the bible
3) fast

Under Law to do to get, does not get what one wants, or does it? Not me ever, did I under Law get me to be new in the risen Son to lead me new. (Galatians 6:7-8) was too busy trying to get God to be pleased by me and what I was doing or not doings. That I now see as dung to me, not able to do it perfectly ever. The trying to do, got me to see "I" can't
But God can and did this by son for me and at the entire world of people. therefore I stand in belief to God as in Col, 1:21-23 tells me

Sep 2, 2024
LOL Jacko!!! Brother here is a very fine question I asked myself once!! While praying and fasting after 3 days here is what I got! Inside Holy Spirit spoke " My son how much time do you spend with your best friend on earth?? The Lord wants at least equal time with you! Before you do anything like shop or go out to eat, do you not include your friend is what he or she would like to do?

The Lord wants to be included in EVERY part of your life! When you know someone cares more for you than anyone on this earth, would you not give that person preference over any other person?? Love clings, it melts together as one person, to let your light shine before others Jesus must be lit in your heart."

Brother that brought GREAT UNDERSTANDING!! May these words also bring this to you as well! He does not need you to be a monk!! LOL He just wants you to know how you need him! The Lord himself did what he did because even God has a need to be needed! Just as we all do! Blessing my brother!

This is beautiful. Yes, perhaps we can all show God more attention. If we draw closer to God he will draw closer to us.

Sep 2, 2024
1.) worship God
2). pray
3) read the bible
4) go to church
5) fast
6) be obedient
7) spend more time in fellowship with the Lord
8) be generous to the poor and needy

Apr 16, 2015
Yes, brother it is not about being pressured about us doing these things it's about doing these things with great joy and thanksgiving.