Guys, What Can We Do to Help You Become the Man God Wants You to Be?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

grace

Sep 8, 2006
Kim...what I heard you saying by your thread is.....how can us women be the BEST HELPMATE to you?

What I did not hear is...how can we come in and strip you of your identity and reprogram you.

Relationships require change. There is no way that you can have two people come together, without some changes needing to occure on some issues at some point. For example...the man always spends christmas day with his family. The woman always spends christmas day with her family. Would be pretty darn strange to have a married couple with children and the NEVER spend christmas day together because change (ie:compromise) did not take place.

You always have to strive to do what is BEST for BOTH of you. Sometimes that will come easily...and sometimes it will come with a lot of hard work, tears, heartache etc.....but if you are both commited to the covenant of your marriage, the outcomes will always be growth. :)

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
For example...the man always spends christmas day with his family. The woman always spends christmas day with her family. Would be pretty darn strange to have a married couple with children and the NEVER spend christmas day together because change (ie:compromise) did not take place.

You always have to strive to do what is BEST for BOTH of you. Sometimes that will come easily...and sometimes it will come with a lot of hard work, tears, heartache etc.....but if you are both commited to the covenant of your marriage, the outcomes will always be growth. :)

This is an easy situation to deal with. The man of course has the final decision in this matter. But he sits down with his wife and discusses the situation, and comes to a decision based on taking both sides into consideration.

Perhaps after considering her views, he will decide that they rotate Christmas get-togethers, with his family one year and her family the next. Or he may decide that they can get together with one family on the 24th and one on the 25th.

Easy, easy.

QuakerOats

grace

Sep 8, 2006

This is an easy situation to deal with. The man of course has the final decision in this matter. But he sits down with his wife and discusses the situation, and comes to a decision based on taking both sides into consideration.

Perhaps after considering her views, he will decide that they rotate Christmas get-togethers, with his family one year and her family the next. Or he may decide that they can get together with one family on the 24th and one on the 25th.

Easy, easy.

QuakerOats
For fear that your missing my point......I will try to clarify.

It is my understanding that what men what most from the woman in their life is respect. I can state with complete certainty that what woman want most is security.

I believe that men are the head of the home....BUT.....a woman and man are in a marriage as a partnership. What they both want is important and should be valued.
At times there will be crossroads where they cannot come to common ground on an issue...therefore that is when the woman should fully submit to her husband and TRUST him to make a decision for the marriage/family.

If she feels secure in her relationship this comes MUCH easier. She will know that he will not make a selfish decision. She will know that he will take what she has relayed to him and prayfully make a decision.

With that being said....we are all human and have a selfish side. Men sometimes fail to recognize the emotional side of things and women sometimes fail to recognize the practical side of things. Hence why God recognized Adams needs for a helpmate. The man will not always be right (and neither will the woman.) They are a team. They provide support to one another in so many ways in so many areas of life. If one of them ever does not recognize the need for their spouse in a certain area, then I do believe that is an open door for trouble.

Sooooo, with that all being said....all forms of compromise should try to be met, and all feelings and desires and ideas laid out on the table before it is given to the man to take over the decision.

When you meet someone and get serious with them, you will adopt some of their ideas, traditions, values etc and leave some of your own behind as you adapt.....and the person you are involved with will do the same. You will then grow with one another as new situations come up and need to be dealt with.

I believe what Kim was/is trying to relay in this thread is that she recognizes this as biblical so how can us women do this in a way that fills a need not only for us, but for you men as well. (with full knowledge that it may be different for all men...and we can then take those perspectives to heart with different situation/personalities we may come into contact with.) :)

Kim...if I have mispoken for you in how I have perceived your thread I fully appologize. Just trying to contibute and add diologue. :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
For fear that your missing my point......I will try to clarify.

It is my understanding that what men what most from the woman in their life is respect. I can state with complete certainty that what woman want most is security.

I believe that men are the head of the home....BUT.....a woman and man are in a marriage as a partnership. What they both want is important and should be valued.
At times there will be crossroads where they cannot come to common ground on an issue...therefore that is when the woman should fully submit to her husband and TRUST him to make a decision for the marriage/family.

If she feels secure in her relationship this comes MUCH easier. She will know that he will not make a selfish decision. She will know that he will take what she has relayed to him and prayfully make a decision.

With that being said....we are all human and have a selfish side. Men sometimes fail to recognize the emotional side of things and women sometimes fail to recognize the practical side of things. Hence why God recognized Adams needs for a helpmate. The man will not always be right (and neither will the woman.) They are a team. They provide support to one another in so many ways in so many areas of life. If one of them ever does not recognize the need for their spouse in a certain area, then I do believe that is an open door for trouble.

Sooooo, with that all being said....all forms of compromise should try to be met, and all feelings and desires and ideas laid out on the table before it is given to the man to take over the decision.

When you meet someone and get serious with them, you will adopt some of their ideas, traditions, values etc and leave some of your own behind as you adapt.....and the person you are involved with will do the same. You will then grow with one another as new situations come up and need to be dealt with.

I believe what Kim was/is trying to relay in this thread is that she recognizes this as biblical so how can us women do this in a way that fills a need not only for us, but for you men as well. (with full knowledge that it may be different for all men...and we can then take those perspectives to heart with different situation/personalities we may come into contact with.) :)

Kim...if I have mispoken for you in how I have perceived your thread I fully appologize. Just trying to contibute and add diologue. :)

I have NO interest in trying to change someone, even if it's for the better (get him off drugs, etc.) I tried that when I was younger learned my lessons all too well.

I am apparently failing in my use of the English language in my last few threads and posts... thank goodness for interpretors like Grace. :)

Maybe I don't mean "Male-anese" very well??? Will have to brush up on my studies! :D

Last edited:
J

Jennifleur

Before you can really understand how to be of help to men, one must first understand them. I guess the same is true for women too. I read a book a while ago that is really quite acurate. Its called "For Women Only" by Shaunti Feldhahn. She did a very good job analysing of the male mind. I even learned a few things about myself while reading it.
I love that book, and it really opened my eyes to a lot of things, giving me better understanding. I also read "For Men Only"by Shaunti's husband (Jeff, I believe, but I'm not near my bookshelf so I cannot check at the moment). I wanted to see if it was accurate about women, and I felt that it was. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but overall it was pretty accurate. I have to say, I also learned a few things about myself by reading "For Men Only". Now, I'd suggest it to every guy I know to read this book, except that men generally hate to read relationship self-help books, and especially if they are suggested by women. Lol. :D

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
I have NO interest in trying to change someone, even if it's for the better (get him off drugs, etc.) I tried that when I was younger learned my lessons all too well.

I am apparently failing in my use of the English language in my last few threads and posts... thank goodness for interpretors like Grace. :)

Maybe I don't mean "Male-anese" very well??? Will have to brush up on my studies! :D
I feel I'm being told that my Woman-ese is not the sharpest either.

Quest

Aug 2, 2009
If you really want to know how to help a guy with his walk with God,
the best way is by
being a living example!

Encourage younger men likewise to be self-controlled, showing yourself to be an example of good works in every way.
Titus 2:6-7

He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn...
Psalms 37:6

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
If you really want to know how to help a guy with his walk with God,
the best way is by being a living example!

Encourage younger men likewise to be self-controlled, showing yourself to be an example of good works in every way.
Titus 2:6-7

He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn...
Psalms 37:6

That is a really fantastic answer! There is only one person you can control, and that is you.

Quest

May 21, 2009
Something that will help the men and the women is don't think that you read each others minds. You don't. Lots of men don't talk a lot. Women want to talk. Some men aren't real good at the cuddle stuff. The women need it. And you have to give it to them. Both sides need to say wonderful things to each other. People thrive on it. You both need to bend.

Pheonix

Jan 17, 2007
I love that book, and it really opened my eyes to a lot of things, giving me better understanding. I also read "For Men Only"by Shaunti's husband (Jeff, I believe, but I'm not near my bookshelf so I cannot check at the moment). I wanted to see if it was accurate about women, and I felt that it was. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but overall it was pretty accurate. I have to say, I also learned a few things about myself by reading "For Men Only". Now, I'd suggest it to every guy I know to read this book, except that men generally hate to read relationship self-help books, and especially if they are suggested by women. Lol. :D
I generally read anything. After my father left, I must have read about 50 self help books that my mom picked up to help her deal with everything. Some were not really helpful, some were interesting and some were actually useful. I generally steer clear of books written by the unsaved although sometimes even they are helpful in a practical standpoint.

Jan 6, 2012
Good question Seoul. What can women do to help men become the men God wants us to be? Depending on the woman's relationship to the man, here's a good shortcut: ask God how He wants you to pray for and minister to or support the man. This is because...

1. God knows a man's heart, needs, and desires, and...

2. He is especially responsive to unselfish or selfless prayers, therefore...

3. He will, I believe, definitely answer such a prayer if it's sincere and will reveal the wisdom that such a woman needs to help a man become what God wants him to be.

Now, I wonder how I can help a woman be all that I want her to be... *rolls eyes* Kidding, kidding :)

J

J-Dog

good stuff guys. seoulsearching makes a great point. If we can just step back and listen to each other - I've heard a lot about communication from you guys and I think that is the best sort of help. Maybe part of us becoming more like God is becoming more secure in our noblest of intentions
trusting the women in our lives & allowing them to help reflect god in our own lives.

This may sound stupid, but my girlfriend noticed I was being really evil to myself & not much was getting through to me on the subject. It made her life harder too. She got me a T-shirt that said "I love Who I am" and made me remind myself everytime I wore (which she made me do) to be the man I am, listen to my gut & God's voice and trust it- I became much more of a leader in my life. I listened to her, listened to myself & God was there. He helped me find the rest! Ladies - (check the link out ------>) The Love You Revolution - It all starts with you! they make a great gift. trust me. trust God.

G

Gojira

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry if this original post becomes a bit lengthy, as this is a subject I feel passionately about, and I mean the title sincerely--no sarcasm or criticism is intended.

First of all, I'd just like to add in a little note here to say that I haven't been in chat for a long time, but the last few times I was there, several people dropped by to talk to me about my threads--I'd like to thank you all for your feedback, as it helps me become better at writing my thoughts more concisely and effectively. If anyone ever wants to say hi or leave me a message, please feel free, and know it will be confidential. As I've said before, when I include examples of others in my threads, I ask permission and often change the genders, locations, and details to an extent to where the people involved are completely anonymous. Please don't think, "Oh, if I say something to Seoul, she will immediately write a thread about it!"

Ok!! Sorry to stray off the topic!

Seeing as we've seen some good advice in the Singles Forum lately on how guys can prepare to have a girlfriend, spouse, and/or family, it seems only fair to ask them, how can we, as the presumed other half, help you become the full person God made you to be?

I know there is a lot of debate on gender roles according to the Bible, and while I'm obviously as outspoken and as feisty of a woman as you can get :D, I take my God-given role as a future helpmate very seriously.

Here are some things that have been on my heart as far as preparing to be a good helpmate (and I certainly hope I don't come across as sounding conceited, as most of these issues are things God had to drag me through, kicking and screaming all the way):

1. I feel it's very important to be financially responsible, paying bills in full and on time, as well as paying down any major debts as soon as possible. I don't want to say to my future husband, "Hi, let's get married so that you can help me pay for all the things I bought to try to comfort myself over being single!"

2. I've worked hard to let God deal with me over my own emotional issues and in particular, my own bad attitudes towards men (the result of lousy relationship choices that were my own fault, but of course, I blamed them and God for my misery.) I admit it's very hard not to worry slightly about some other guy breaking my heart, but I know I have to at least have an open mind and treat someone with a clean slate in order to even establish a relationship.

3. I believe it's important to be aware of and sensitive to what a guy may have been through. I am not in any way trying to talk down or lessen the problems we women go through, but I think sometimes we forget that guys often go through the same things and for them, it can be even harder because society frowns on the idea of a man asking for help. Society is also so harsh that it questions their sexual orientation if they show even the slightest amount of emotion or moral restraint.

As an example, I have been in relationships with guys who have had histories of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse. I think sometimes we ladies forget what kind of impact that can have on a guy. He may be nervous enough about talking to a woman, let alone be able to wrestle with the thought of telling her some of the things he's trying to let God help him with.

Abuse can come in other forms as well, such as a parent or parents who were never there, parents who were there but emotionally unavailable, a household in which he was never spoken to unless it was some sort of criticism or harsh discipline, siblings who were favored over him, etc. All of these things will, of course, have an impact on a man's heart and journey with the Lord and with other people.

As a woman, I feel it's my job to be sensitive and aware of such things so that I am prepared to help my husband seek any help he may need for these kinds of terrible traumas. I've been through many classes, served on prayer teams and at conferences, all the while learning how to pray for someone and how to go to God when they can't quite tell me what's wrong, because God is certainly a lot smarter than I am when it comes to what that person is going through and what they need!

Am I even close to doing this all very well? Heck, no!!! As I wrote in another thread, one of the things I'm doing as practice in being submissive to a man's lead is that I will go to my best guy friend for advice, and when I feel God is tugging at my heart, will follow what he tells me, even if I'm fighting it tooth and nail. In fact, my friend once told me, "Kim, sometimes you talk to me as if I'm a little girl in a dress!!" (For some reason, he still puts up with me... it can only be the grace of God!!) But, I'm trying!!!

4. In preparation for a possible family someday, I've been in situations in which I've taken on an active role in trying to help some parents with their kids, at different ages and stages of development (for example, doing things such as helping with potty training on up to hiring a friend's teenage daughter to do some cleaning with me so we could talk about some things she faces in the schools.) I seriously don't know how parents do it and have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

5. I know there are a lot of arguments about this, but if my husband were willing, I would probably choose to work at least part-time, or at least be active in volunteer activities. Now, if we had kids, it would be different, and I would be completely agreeable to being a stay-at-home mom while they were little, at least, but I am someone who would most likely need to get out of the house at least a few times a week in order to keep her sanity (I've learned this about myself while working as a helper to other parents.)

When my beloved Grandma died three years ago, I was talking to my Grandpa about their life together, seeing as they were married 64 years. My grandparents were fruit farmers, and with tears in his eyes, he told me about the two of them together in the fields with a length of chain between them, one on each side, measuring out the distance for planting the crops. She worked from sunrise to long after the sunset every day, right there at his side. To me, this is a perfect model of what a helpmate should be.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think that when God made Adam and Eve and put them in the Garden of Eden, Eve was expected to stay behind in their treehouse or tent or wherever they lived and pick up leaves or dust the railings repeatedly until the children arrived. I would imagine, though I could be wrong, that she was out there working with Adam in caring for the tropical environment that God had given them as a home.

I know times have changed, and I myself grew up in a family where my Mom stopped working as soon as kids came into the picture. But to me, if there is a pile of bills on the table and my husband is stressed and dismayed and trying his very best to provide but life becomes overwhelming, in my own heart, as a helpmate, instead of telling him he needs to be more Godly and a better provider or stronger leader, it's my job to roll up my sleeves and ask him, "Honey, how can I help?" And if that means taking on a job (or if need be, two or three), then that, if God is willing, will be what I would do.

However, these interpretations are my own opinions and certainly not absolute, as I believe that God makes us all for different purposes and what works for some may have to be worked out differently for others.

God tells us, above all else, to serve one another in love, just as Jesus came "not to be served, but to serve." No one likes the thought of serving (me included!), but God tells us we will win people over with our humble service and that God Himself is pleased with us when we put aside our pride, humble our own hearts, and simply serve.

Guys, what are your thoughts? Are these the right things to do, or am I missing the point completely? What else can we ladies do to help you?

And ladies, what do you feel is important to do, and what have you already done, in becoming the awesome, Godly helper you were made to be?

(I realize some people may have been called to be single, so please consider yourself exempt from these questions, although you are more than welcome to contribute!) :D
Wow... had to skim through this. Sorry Seoul. But, I think I got a generalish gist of it. (Let me know if you feel I've been unfair to your thoughts.)

I'm not sure there is much you as a woman can do. I mean, as wife, e.g., you can encourage your husband, admire him, desire him, respect him. These help. Pray for the return of masculinity to our society as well -- and to the church. But, to become a Godly MAN, I believe that's something only God and other men can do. Iron sharpens iron, unless I'm misusing that passage.

I speak with some perspective on this since I grew up with a single mom, and that has had impacts on me that have never fully left. Those impacts I will not describe here, but trust me, they show the need for a MAN and a WOMAN in the household to raise a child.

You are a dear for asking though.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry if this original post becomes a bit lengthy, as this is a subject I feel passionately about, and I mean the title sincerely--no sarcasm or criticism is intended.

First of all, I'd just like to add in a little note here to say that I haven't been in chat for a long time, but the last few times I was there, several people dropped by to talk to me about my threads--I'd like to thank you all for your feedback, as it helps me become better at writing my thoughts more concisely and effectively. If anyone ever wants to say hi or leave me a message, please feel free, and know it will be confidential. As I've said before, when I include examples of others in my threads, I ask permission and often change the genders, locations, and details to an extent to where the people involved are completely anonymous. Please don't think, "Oh, if I say something to Seoul, she will immediately write a thread about it!"

Ok!! Sorry to stray off the topic!

Seeing as we've seen some good advice in the Singles Forum lately on how guys can prepare to have a girlfriend, spouse, and/or family, it seems only fair to ask them, how can we, as the presumed other half, help you become the full person God made you to be?

I know there is a lot of debate on gender roles according to the Bible, and while I'm obviously as outspoken and as feisty of a woman as you can get :D, I take my God-given role as a future helpmate very seriously.

Here are some things that have been on my heart as far as preparing to be a good helpmate (and I certainly hope I don't come across as sounding conceited, as most of these issues are things God had to drag me through, kicking and screaming all the way):

1. I feel it's very important to be financially responsible, paying bills in full and on time, as well as paying down any major debts as soon as possible. I don't want to say to my future husband, "Hi, let's get married so that you can help me pay for all the things I bought to try to comfort myself over being single!"

2. I've worked hard to let God deal with me over my own emotional issues and in particular, my own bad attitudes towards men (the result of lousy relationship choices that were my own fault, but of course, I blamed them and God for my misery.) I admit it's very hard not to worry slightly about some other guy breaking my heart, but I know I have to at least have an open mind and treat someone with a clean slate in order to even establish a relationship.

3. I believe it's important to be aware of and sensitive to what a guy may have been through. I am not in any way trying to talk down or lessen the problems we women go through, but I think sometimes we forget that guys often go through the same things and for them, it can be even harder because society frowns on the idea of a man asking for help. Society is also so harsh that it questions their sexual orientation if they show even the slightest amount of emotion or moral restraint.

As an example, I have been in relationships with guys who have had histories of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse. I think sometimes we ladies forget what kind of impact that can have on a guy. He may be nervous enough about talking to a woman, let alone be able to wrestle with the thought of telling her some of the things he's trying to let God help him with.

Abuse can come in other forms as well, such as a parent or parents who were never there, parents who were there but emotionally unavailable, a household in which he was never spoken to unless it was some sort of criticism or harsh discipline, siblings who were favored over him, etc. All of these things will, of course, have an impact on a man's heart and journey with the Lord and with other people.

As a woman, I feel it's my job to be sensitive and aware of such things so that I am prepared to help my husband seek any help he may need for these kinds of terrible traumas. I've been through many classes, served on prayer teams and at conferences, all the while learning how to pray for someone and how to go to God when they can't quite tell me what's wrong, because God is certainly a lot smarter than I am when it comes to what that person is going through and what they need!

Am I even close to doing this all very well? Heck, no!!! As I wrote in another thread, one of the things I'm doing as practice in being submissive to a man's lead is that I will go to my best guy friend for advice, and when I feel God is tugging at my heart, will follow what he tells me, even if I'm fighting it tooth and nail. In fact, my friend once told me, "Kim, sometimes you talk to me as if I'm a little girl in a dress!!" (For some reason, he still puts up with me... it can only be the grace of God!!) But, I'm trying!!!

4. In preparation for a possible family someday, I've been in situations in which I've taken on an active role in trying to help some parents with their kids, at different ages and stages of development (for example, doing things such as helping with potty training on up to hiring a friend's teenage daughter to do some cleaning with me so we could talk about some things she faces in the schools.) I seriously don't know how parents do it and have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

5. I know there are a lot of arguments about this, but if my husband were willing, I would probably choose to work at least part-time, or at least be active in volunteer activities. Now, if we had kids, it would be different, and I would be completely agreeable to being a stay-at-home mom while they were little, at least, but I am someone who would most likely need to get out of the house at least a few times a week in order to keep her sanity (I've learned this about myself while working as a helper to other parents.)

When my beloved Grandma died three years ago, I was talking to my Grandpa about their life together, seeing as they were married 64 years. My grandparents were fruit farmers, and with tears in his eyes, he told me about the two of them together in the fields with a length of chain between them, one on each side, measuring out the distance for planting the crops. She worked from sunrise to long after the sunset every day, right there at his side. To me, this is a perfect model of what a helpmate should be.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't think that when God made Adam and Eve and put them in the Garden of Eden, Eve was expected to stay behind in their treehouse or tent or wherever they lived and pick up leaves or dust the railings repeatedly until the children arrived. I would imagine, though I could be wrong, that she was out there working with Adam in caring for the tropical environment that God had given them as a home.

I know times have changed, and I myself grew up in a family where my Mom stopped working as soon as kids came into the picture. But to me, if there is a pile of bills on the table and my husband is stressed and dismayed and trying his very best to provide but life becomes overwhelming, in my own heart, as a helpmate, instead of telling him he needs to be more Godly and a better provider or stronger leader, it's my job to roll up my sleeves and ask him, "Honey, how can I help?" And if that means taking on a job (or if need be, two or three), then that, if God is willing, will be what I would do.

However, these interpretations are my own opinions and certainly not absolute, as I believe that God makes us all for different purposes and what works for some may have to be worked out differently for others.

God tells us, above all else, to serve one another in love, just as Jesus came "not to be served, but to serve." No one likes the thought of serving (me included!), but God tells us we will win people over with our humble service and that God Himself is pleased with us when we put aside our pride, humble our own hearts, and simply serve.

Guys, what are your thoughts? Are these the right things to do, or am I missing the point completely? What else can we ladies do to help you?

And ladies, what do you feel is important to do, and what have you already done, in becoming the awesome, Godly helper you were made to be?

(I realize some people may have been called to be single, so please consider yourself exempt from these questions, although you are more than welcome to contribute!) :D
Play it the same way you would play it with a dog: Encourage good behavior with treats and discourage bad behavior with a sharp tone (or a stick if the dog is very stupid... Depends on the breed.)

I only wish I was kidding about this. You know the old saying - the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. =^.^=

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Pray for him?
Or his mum? (not BE his mum) I dunno.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Feed him carrot sticks? Rewards him with R stickers. This is what we do at school. Sometimes I gave them high fives.