dating someone who is not Christian ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2020
I’ve always wondered what other people think about dating someone who is not a christian, I haven’t dated anyone yet, but was wondering is it wrong ?
People who, despite not being Christian, can be very charming and delightful to be around. No question about that.

I think that having the same faith in Christ and goals is important, though. I mean, the whole point of dating is having the goal of marriage in mind. So dating a non-Christian who won't convert probably isn't a very good idea unless you want to marry someone who doesn't believe in Jesus.

If you really like them, maybe you can try to see if they are willing to convert to Christianity or be your disciple. If they really like you, then in theory they'll love everything about Jesus.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think maybe in those situations go on a double date if you can arrange it as then you can assess someone while on the date with your christian buddy.

I wouldnt spend too much time alone with someone who isnt a christian.

S

SigP226

Plenty of things that can go wrong with "Christian" guys including but not limited to:

Guys who use the idea of male headship to be abusively authoritarian (or just plain abusive)
Guys who believe they have a God given right to have all their needs met by the woman God has chosen for them
Guys who use the idea of charity and Christian love to tell a woman she needs to put up with his sins and faults and makes no effort to change them
Guys who believe in courtship and so push the relationship toward marriage at a hugely accelerated pace
Guys who use the label Chrsitian because they believe that all the nice girls it will give them access to secretly want to be naughty

And that's just the way the Chrsitian part of christian guys can go bad. They're still subject to all the usual not at all related to Christian teaching issues that single guys looking for a date can deal with.

Not saying that any of these have happened to me (or to shiney), but if my choice were between a nominally Christian guy and an unbeliever of high morals and integrity...................................

This is me we're talking about, I'd stay single.
So "Manipulative"?

That could be said for many men and women; Christian or not.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
I'm too scared to date single Christian guys. I was burned by one pretty bad and I just never trusted them again. I recently realized that was a fear of mine and have been praying against it and praying that God really transforms that part of me.
There are good Christian men out there, just need to be very picky and patient with giving it to God to guide you.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
I personally won’t ever consider it. It’s so important to be equally yoked. So many issues can impact your relationship and especially with God dating a non Christian.

Aug 28, 2020
So what is like dating someone who's not a Christian?

Last year, around this time, I went out with a woman who I thought was a Christian. She talked about being spiritual (red flag, looking back on it, today) but that was as far as I went before we called it off. Her attitude was different, but we still had fun together. Just because someone's not a Christian, doesn't mean you can't have fun with them. It was actually a good, but hard, learning experience. You begin to wonder why your parents, as you were growing up, tell you to date someone that is a Christian, then you go out with someone who's not, and you can see why. These non-Christians have quite a bit of baggage.

This woman I dated was molested as a child by her father. It had me her question why her mother still was a Christian, especially seeing how mistreated she was by her own husband. The family itself was, and still is, very broken. She started running around with the wrong crowd that were into spirituality, border-lining on witchcraft. She never became a witch herself, and not quite wiccan, but some of the stuff she's into have a witchy feel to them. She also had several bfs and been engaged 3 times. Cheated on almost all of them, because she was never told that it was wrong for ANYONE, especially for women, to do so. She had been in trouble with the law before, mainly DUIs in her twenties and still has a drinking problem apparently, according to her sister and brother-in-law.

In addition to all this:

-She still maintains a close relationship with her father, despite him not apologizing for what he did nor being regretful (and he, too, is not a Christian) with a mutual trust/hate relationship. There are days where she gets along with him and days she doesn't, all the while complaining about how terrible and horrible he is, even as she continues to do things with him (as he's a negative influencer in her life).

-Her oldest brother committed suicide earlier in the year, and she received the suicide note. She had it saved on her phone and I read it. Found out after the brother's suicide that he did the same thing their father did to her, except this was towards the brother's daughters. It brought up old memories and it made her go to a mental hospital for a week. Last I knew, she was seeing a psychiatrist and is on meds, but doesn't take them, according to the sister.

-Her first ex-fiance manipulated, lied to, physically abused, and controlled her (all confirmed by both her sister and brother-in-law). She both complained and held him up with high praise. Whenever she complained about him, it was always followed up by a compliment or two. In the end, she never got over him, even after, according to this woman, forced himself onto her. Our last time together, she had told me that her ex passed away. She revealed that she was STILL in contact with both him and the ex's wife. Despite telling me how horrible he was to her, as odd as it sounds, she still "loved" him (if you want to call it that).

A week after our last date, it was her late brother's birthday (the one who committed suicide and then I didn't hear from her for 2-3 weeks. I didn't know if she was going into a depression because of her brother not being there for his own birthday, but I found out later that she ghosted me. A day after I got back from my vacation, she was the one that called it off first. Her sister told me that I didn't do anything wrong and that the family really liked me. Looking back on it now and hearing and reading similar stories of guys going through the same thing, she more than likely called it off over her ex-fiance's passing, as if she was hoping to have him back and start over again, somehow. So it goes along with her never getting over him.

To answer the question I said in the beginning, it's tough dating a non-Christian, especially when they have so much baggage attached. I was an idiot, thinking I can try and have her see the light. Where, yes, you can lead by example, but, in the end, it's up to them if they want salvation or not. My advice is don't get caught up in trying to date someone who doesn't believe. In my case, I should have called it off sooner with that alone, but now I know to never do that again. It's stressful, it can put you in a depression, and it can begin to pull you away from church, which did happen to me to one degree. We had fun, but that was the only positive thing that came out of it. So, yeah, don't date anyone who hasn't given their life to Christ.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
People who, despite not being Christian, can be very charming and delightful to be around. No question about that.
Ted Bundy was like that... ;) Until he took a tire iron to the back of your head, that is...

Feb 16, 2017
I’ve always wondered what other people think about dating someone who is not a christian, I haven’t dated anyone yet, but was wondering is it wrong ?
What if you fall in love?
As that is not something you can predict.
People fall in love online......and in person the connection more powerful.

So, if you are a true believer and you KNOW that God does not allow you to get married to someone who does not have the Holy Spirit in them, as that means they are of the world, of the devil, and you are of YOUR Father.
See the issue?

Listen, among other things that Christians are not taught for the last 50 yrs is that there are 2 Spiritual Fathers., not just one.
This is why GOD, who is JESUS, said......."you are of YOUR FATHER, THE Devil, and the LUSTS OF YOUR FATHER, you will DO".

Who is that? That is everyone who is not a Christian. = These......... John 3:36

So, if you fall in love with someone who is doing the lust of Their Father, then what have you done to yourself?
And if you marry them........do you SEE the HORRIBLE Situation you chose as your marriage?

Listen, God is not trying to keep you from interesting relationships, He is trying to protect you from destroying your life.