Are ALL businesses sold out to Mammon?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Just wondering if the profit motive is the bottom line for ALL businesses and how do you distinguish Chrstian businesses from other business or is that not even a thing.

Would not a christian business just be a charity?

If so how do we support charities rather than businesses.
It has become obvious that you are not asking a question. You've already made up your mid.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
The reality is that there is no such thing as free when it comes to trade and finance. Somebody is paying for it.
True. I believe this shop is funded through grants and donations.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jesus lived in Peters house in Capernaum it wasnt actually his house.

Jesus hometown was in NAZARETH.

Jesus may have worked as a carpenter in Capernaum but it wasnt likely he owned a house there. He would have rented accomodation...he was a tradesman after all. Jesus didnt actually have family ties in Capernaum.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well, if it's funded by grants it can still be a business, right?
I dont know...I was asking and nobody actually seems to know

Oh well...another mystery of the universe unsolved

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh nobody seems to know

well..from my observations and experience small businesses are usually family owned and the owners claim they are doing it for their family...(Jesus said he must be about his FATHERs business. )

which seems legit, although sometimes they get their family members to work for free. Free slaves why not. However a lot of family members, offspring actually do NOT want to work in the family business.

As for BIG businesses yes they provide a lot of jobs but some do tend to treat their workers like slaves. A lot of bullying goes on in big business. although that might still happen in a charity...? I recall working for an op shop charity, its still there but they might have changed owners and someone said they were now bullying staff who volunteered

so...?

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
huh nobody seems to know

well..from my observations and experience small businesses are usually family owned and the owners claim they are doing it for their family...(Jesus said he must be about his FATHERs business. )

which seems legit, although sometimes they get their family members to work for free. Free slaves why not. However a lot of family members, offspring actually do NOT want to work in the family business.

As for BIG businesses yes they provide a lot of jobs but some do tend to treat their workers like slaves. A lot of bullying goes on in big business. although that might still happen in a charity...? I recall working for an op shop charity, its still there but they might have changed owners and someone said they were now bullying staff who volunteered

so...?
I've always wanted to start a business. I have quite a few ideas but no start-up capital. I always figured it'd be a good, safe place for my kids to have their first jobs (if they so chose). But they wouldn't be my slaves. I'd pay them like I paid any employee. I mean, even now my eldest get paid for babysitting when my husband and I go out. I don't just assume that because they are competent and available that they have to do it for free. Sad that there are people in the world who treat their kids like slaves.

Handyman62

Jan 10, 2021
Rural South Carolina
I've always wanted to start a business. I have quite a few ideas but no start-up capital. I always figured it'd be a good, safe place for my kids to have their first jobs (if they so chose). But they wouldn't be my slaves. I'd pay them like I paid any employee. I mean, even now my eldest get paid for babysitting when my husband and I go out. I don't just assume that because they are competent and available that they have to do it for free. Sad that there are people in the world who treat their kids like slaves.

I think it's worse to give your children money without earning it. Gives them an entitlement complex.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
As I am in the middle of opening one...

Some business are all about making a fortune. Especially software companies. All those apps and games that sell for a dollar for on your phone. And then there's the enterprise software for data management. Lots of money there.

But some are more about being a service. Oil, natural gas, food service, landscaping, skilled trades and etc.
You usually don't get rich from these(despite the perception)...but you can make a living.

I am in process of building a bread bakery and coffee shop. Lots of pieces and parts. Lots of government regulations. Building codes, permits, licenses, and equipment...not to mention lease contracts and etc. Then there's the jobs we are going to provide for the community.

If we create jobs... someone is going to be able to pay rent, feed and clothe themselves. I'm not going to get rich by any stretch of the imagination. I also am getting a LOT of work.

Despite the perception of business owners being wealthy...I live in an apartment just like so many others. I suppose I can buy a house...but I really don't want one. My wife has a job that provides benefits like health insurance and I have retired so I don't really need a 401k.

The investors will get their money back in three or four years. (Maybe)

I get a job basically... making sure that everyone I employ has a job tomorrow. It's not a "get rich quick" scheme by any stretch of the imagination...we deserve our wages and the money we get paid for coffee and bread.
We know the industry. We know what makes money...it's called "work".

God provides the success. I've seen some of the least intelligent people make absolutely smashing successful businesses. And I've seen some really aggressive and sharp guys make a small fortune out of several large ones.

And going into business is a lot like the song "burn the ships". Because there's no going back and ties have to be cut.
I'll be working from 3am until 3pm every day. Try having friends with that kind of schedule. Not exactly going to work out well.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yes well if you are risk taker business is all about taking calculated risks since you cant really predict who will need your service or buy your produce

Also you may need to differentiate your business from others doing the same thing. If you the only one offering it in your area, you will have loyal customers (you also need to define your territories, less you poach someone elses business) so theres that as well.

You need to do a SWOT analysis and forecast your turnover...though that could be hard for a start up to calculate. For some, it it is something they LOVE doing then its more of a passion than a way to make money. But then they must have a lot of reserves or capital to even do that in the first place, to run at a loss.

if its a bakery what do you plan to do with the bread that doesnt sell? is the flour organic or laced with chemicals?
if its a coffee place are you going to be environmentally friendly or use disposal cups that litter the environment? will you use up your coffee grounds in the garden? Is the coffee sourced fair trade? all that to think about. Will your workers actually be able to afford rental accomodation if they work for you or are they just getting by or living with their parents?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
yes well if you are risk taker business is all about taking calculated risks since you cant really predict who will need your service or buy your produce

Also you may need to differentiate your business from others doing the same thing. If you the only one offering it in your area, you will have loyal customers (you also need to define your territories, less you poach someone elses business) so theres that as well.

You need to do a SWOT analysis and forecast your turnover...though that could be hard for a start up to calculate. For some, it it is something they LOVE doing then its more of a passion than a way to make money. But then they must have a lot of reserves or capital to even do that in the first place, to run at a loss.

if its a bakery what do you plan to do with the bread that doesnt sell? is the flour organic or laced with chemicals?
if its a coffee place are you going to be environmentally friendly or use disposal cups that litter the environment? will you use up your coffee grounds in the garden? Is the coffee sourced fair trade? all that to think about. Will your workers actually be able to afford rental accomodation if they work for you or are they just getting by or living with their parents?
We will pay everyone fairly and at the top market rates...no matter who it is...even if they are family.
Stale's have utility as well...lots of uses from croutons to bread pudding. All is utilized over and over again.

But in my neighborhood the existing shops even remotely similar are welcoming any relief that we can provide. All are overwhelmed at the moment. Traffic is backing up into the street at all of them.

R

RichMan

Without businesses there would be no funds available for charities.
Without businesses making profits there would be no jobs.
Even all those living off government handouts and paychecks would be without.
I am all for businesses making profits.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Without businesses making profits there would be no jobs.
Even all those living off government handouts and paychecks would be without.
I am all for businesses making profits.
Business require capital investment. Because business involves risk the returns need to be higher than bonds. The riskier the higher returns. Nothing is without risk. But the money should return in 3-5 years and continue afterwards.

This is why foodservice investment is lousy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
yea where is the capital coming from though...most business just get a loan from the bank! (if they can) if they cant they will have to use the money they ALREADY have.

thats why if you have your own busness it will be a small one as you can only make a small investment from your own pocket.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I walked up the road to the shops, one coffee place had shut down but another coffee place is going up in its place. There is already a same name coffee place across the road.

I guess its nice to have somewhere to sit and have a coffee but only retired ppl actually have the time to do that. Though its probably the retired ppl that have the most time, they dont all have the most money.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Food is something you might buy everyday as everyone needs to eat and it needs to be fresh
people thought that by having free lunches in schools it was providing jobs for local people but it turned out only the bigger companies got the tender and the money wasnt really going to the locals, though they might employ some locals to distribute, the food wasnt really made or sourced locally.

Im guessing its more of a distribution issue than anything else...who is really profiting, well it shluld be the hungry children who have a decent meal in them so they can learn rather than worry about their stomachs all the time...which you do when you are starving.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
I walked up the road to the shops, one coffee place had shut down but another coffee place is going up in its place. There is already a same name coffee place across the road.

I guess its nice to have somewhere to sit and have a coffee but only retired ppl actually have the time to do that. Though its probably the retired ppl that have the most time, they dont all have the most money.
We have a Christian coffee place in my area where lots of folks like to hang out. My eldest used to meet friends from her youth group there and have a Bible study. My sister and I (before she moved out of state) used to meet there for a coffee and donut or salad. Lots of folks, not just the retired, love the quiet ambiance and friendly staff. But I get not all places are like that.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Food is something you might buy everyday as everyone needs to eat and it needs to be fresh
people thought that by having free lunches in schools it was providing jobs for local people but it turned out only the bigger companies got the tender and the money wasnt really going to the locals, though they might employ some locals to distribute, the food wasnt really made or sourced locally.

Im guessing its more of a distribution issue than anything else...who is really profiting, well it shluld be the hungry children who have a decent meal in them so they can learn rather than worry about their stomachs all the time...which you do when you are starving.
Yeah....lots and lots of used espresso machines available from Australia. $1500 in Shipping costs though.

And my biggest gripe currently is that big business, even in the restaurant industry, is trying their best to run the small, independent businesses out of business.
They take the best locations, they suck the soul and money out of an area and give it to fat cats elsewhere. They also drive up the regulations so that the small guy can't even start.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I dont know...I was asking and nobody actually seems to know

Oh well...another mystery of the universe unsolved
Paul worked to support himself while founding & building churches. he didn't depend on - or if he could help it, even accept - the charity of churches ((1 Corinthians 9, Acts 18, etc)) -- in fact he pointedly did not make himself any kind of financial burden on anyone. guess how he did that? well, he made money at some kind of profitable business activity wholly independent from his work as an evangelist/preacher/teacher. he was not a 'paid pastor'

his occupation is usually translated 'tent-making' but i have heard a linguistic argument that what this should really be translated as is that he made talits, which is, prayer shawls for practising Jews. i'm not qualified to comment on that.

a pertinent point of this though, is that Paul largely supported himself, not depending on the believers he taught to support him. which means that Paul plied a trade, operating a business, as it were, and had to have made some profit from it, otherwise it would have been no use to him -- and that profit from his business, he presumably used to buy his own food, to pay for his own transportation, his own shelter, and his own clothing etc.

so..

what is a 'Christian business' ?? well we have an example in scripture ((we actually have many)) and part of that example is the business being profitable. i.e. it is not a 'charity' that spends more money than it brings in. a business which gives the worker its wages.
i agree with those who have pointed out that a charity is fundamentally a different entity than a business.
one has no wages with which to fairly recompense ones workers if one is not engaged in profitable business.

i know this doesn't fully answer your question, but i wanted to chime in with an example in scripture that shows that 'Christian business' is not necessarily non-profit. it appears that profiting from ones labor is not inherently sinful, so that, to answer the primary OP question, no -- not all business is sold out to mammon just because it operates as a business and is profitable.

you do not have to love money in order to produce it, and the mere fact that you earn an income does not mean you serve a lust for money.