Ananias of Damascus

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
What can we deduce from scripture about the character of Ananias? He was obviously a follower of TheWay when asked by God to heal Saul’s sight and baptize him.
Paul later refers to Ananias as Jew held in high regard and keeper of the law. Paul says this when he himself is saying he is no longer under the law.
I have no answers but find Ananias’ character to be a bit puzzling. Also, many regard him is one of the 72 sent by Christ but I can’t seem to find much to support this.
All interesting to me. What are your thoughts on this subject? Have a blessed evening!

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
That he was contacted directly by Jesus and answered that he call to minister to Paul who was God’s chosen apostle to the gentiles is all I need to know about him.
[Act 9:10, 12-13, 17 KJV] 10 And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I [am here], Lord. ... 12 And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting [his] hand on him, that he might receive his sight. 13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: ... 17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, [even] Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
  • And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord. Acts 9:10
  • And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good report of all the Jews which dwelt there, Acts 22:12
Can't help but notice that Ananias goes from a disciple and and devout man and then Saul begins to reveal the actual identity of who Ananias really is. As also the high priest doth bear me witness, and all the estate of the elders: Acts 22:5
  • And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth. Acts 23:2
  • And after five days Ananias the high priest descended with the elders, and with a certain orator named Tertullus, who informed the governor against Paul. Acts 24:1
So was Ananias and Annas the same person?
  • Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness. Luke 3:2
  • And led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas, which was the high priest that same year. John 18:13
  • And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. Acts 4:6
Kinda like the name usage of Noe and Noah in the Gospels.
  • For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, Matt 24:38
  • Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech, Luke 3:36

tedincarolina

Jul 25, 2024
Hey @Embankment

I also wouldn't see him as being one of those who were sent out. The Scriptures only discuss him as a man who lived in the same city that Paul was in. That he was a believer in the Lord Jesus is a given, since the Scriptures testify that Ananias spoke with the Lord. However, just as Paul was, a jew who had always kept the law, before Jesus became known to him. I think Paul's intent here is to confirm for us that Ananias was a faithful follower of God. First as a law observant Jew, but now as a blood bought saint.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Hey @Embankment

I also wouldn't see him as being one of those who were sent out. The Scriptures only discuss him as a man who lived in the same city that Paul was in. That he was a believer in the Lord Jesus is a given, since the Scriptures testify that Ananias spoke with the Lord. However, just as Paul was, a jew who had always kept the law, before Jesus became known to him. I think Paul's intent here is to confirm for us that Ananias was a faithful follower of God. First as a law observant Jew, but now as a blood bought saint.
I like that depiction!

Jul 3, 2015
Three men by the name of Ananias appear in the Bible, and each plays a role in the New Testament book of Acts.

More
here (<= link).

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
I know as much as the Bible says about Ananias, and that's enough for me.
Me too, when Jesus spoke with him he answered and when he expresses fear Jesus reassured him.

[Act 9:10, 13 KJV] 10 And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I [am here], Lord. ... 13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: