Youth Mission Trips

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Hey y'all, full disclosure I'm not ordained or anything, but I do assist our youth pastor and his wife with lesson and activity planning, special events, chaperoning, and just in general try to fill in where needed in our church's youth ministry. I really love it!

Anyway, I'm looking for input regarding short-term youth mission trips, the kind where you travel to another city and stay for a week, camp out at a local church, and assist with service projects in the area. Our group just got back from our annual trip, it was my first one as a chaperone and I have mixed feelings about it, as do most of the other chaperones who attended. So mostly I'm just looking for thoughts and personal inputs that might help shape how we handle missions next summer. Here are some questions to get the discussion started:

-Does your church take a long-distance trip for missions, or do you focus more on local outreach? We drove 7 hours in 4 vehicles for our trip, and I couldn't help but think we could have had a similar experience an hour or two from home. But maybe the distance itself accomplishes something as far as getting out of comfort zones and such? We also do some local outreach during the rest of the year, but nothing seems to get the kids fired up like going out of town for the annual trip.

-Do you work with a youth missions organization, or free-lance by partnering with a local church, maybe a "sister church" within your denomination? My church is small and non-denominational so options are limited there, but it would be cool to work with a group whose mission statement is more focused on spreading the Gospel than random service projects (though I realize God can work and speak through service projects too).

-Do you allow any willing youth to go, or do you have some sort of age limit or maturity requirement? We allow anyone who wants to go, but it was quickly apparent that 15% of the kids were causing 90% of the stress and drama. Yet it did seem like God used the trip to work on the heart of at least one of the troublemakers, and I realize that ministry isn't about what's least stressful for me personally, but rather whatever God wants to accomplish, stressful or not. Still, I can't help but think that a minimum servant's attitude and basic obedience level would help our group to be more of a blessing to those we claim to be ministering to.

-And lastly, what are your personal experiences with youth missions trips, either as a youth or as an adult leading or chaperoning the trip? Did God use it to speak to you? Was it a pivotal experience in your walk with Christ? Did you come away with lessons that really stuck with you? Any stories and input you are willing to share is much appreciated! Thanks in advance and God bless!

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Unpopular perspective coming:

There is no Biblical example of sending youth as missionaries. The practice was made popular by YWAM in the 1950s(?). Children cannot properly represent God the Father. God is not sending children out from the church. Ironically, even churches that claim to be "Biblical" practice this tradition.

A few considerations:
1. Anyone sent is an apostle. Apostle simply means "sent one". Evangelists are not sent. They are gifted with knowing and showing God's love. The practice of sending evangelists away from believers to the unbelievers is creating a church culture where "the love of most is growing cold". This was prophesied.

2. Certainly apostles may "do the work of an evangelist" in places unfamiliar with the Lord. This is direction to show the people the love of God. Primarily, though, sent ones are to recognize and build up elders who are among the people. These elders, who already know and love the people by example, are then tasked with caring for the people. All elders are gifted pastors but not all pastors are elders. Wisdom is required.

3. Those who are sent should not have to support their own going. Although Paul apparently had his own funds to travel, he could have required support from the people to whom he was sent. Making children raise funds to participate in a "mission" of the church teaches them that God the Father requires money from children to accomplish His work.

4. The churches who practice these types of missions tend to "raise up" extra-local churches in the image of their home church. So, a Church of God missionary is required to "plant" a Church of God church. Instead, the elders should be taught sound Biblical doctrine (from the Bible and from the example of the apostle sent to them) and be charged with continuing the work after the apostle departs. This is the example we see in the epistles: men of character, calling the believers "their children in the Lord", demonstrating fatherly care and concern for the people. Everyone so charged (with the care of others) is required to give an account to God for their care. This requires wisdom and is not something God will burden a child with.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Although Paul apparently had his own funds to travel, he could have required support from the people to whom he was sent. Making children raise funds to participate in a "mission" of the church teaches them that God the Father requires money from children to accomplish His work.
The church at Philippi helped financially support Paul's missionary efforts 😀

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Unpopular perspective coming:

There is no Biblical example of sending youth as missionaries. The practice was made popular by YWAM in the 1950s(?). Children cannot properly represent God the Father. God is not sending children out from the church. Ironically, even churches that claim to be "Biblical" practice this tradition.

A few considerations:
1. Anyone sent is an apostle. Apostle simply means "sent one". Evangelists are not sent. They are gifted with knowing and showing God's love. The practice of sending evangelists away from believers to the unbelievers is creating a church culture where "the love of most is growing cold". This was prophesied.

2. Certainly apostles may "do the work of an evangelist" in places unfamiliar with the Lord. This is direction to show the people the love of God. Primarily, though, sent ones are to recognize and build up elders who are among the people. These elders, who already know and love the people by example, are then tasked with caring for the people. All elders are gifted pastors but not all pastors are elders. Wisdom is required.

3. Those who are sent should not have to support their own going. Although Paul apparently had his own funds to travel, he could have required support from the people to whom he was sent. Making children raise funds to participate in a "mission" of the church teaches them that God the Father requires money from children to accomplish His work.

4. The churches who practice these types of missions tend to "raise up" extra-local churches in the image of their home church. So, a Church of God missionary is required to "plant" a Church of God church. Instead, the elders should be taught sound Biblical doctrine (from the Bible and from the example of the apostle sent to them) and be charged with continuing the work after the apostle departs. This is the example we see in the epistles: men of character, calling the believers "their children in the Lord", demonstrating fatherly care and concern for the people. Everyone so charged (with the care of others) is required to give an account to God for their care. This requires wisdom and is not something God will burden a child with.

Hi Aaron56, thanks for your reply! I don't mind unpopular perspectives, I hold to a good number of them myself lol :LOL:. What you had to say was good food for thought, though I find myself falling somewhere in the middle. This was my first official trip (I never did one as a teenager), so coming at it only from the perspective of a chaperone has me feeling like my perspective might be a little unbalanced. I might try to post a similar thread in teens or young adults to see if I get more response there. I appreciate your thoughts and input! :cool:

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Hi Aaron56, thanks for your reply! I don't mind unpopular perspectives, I hold to a good number of them myself lol :LOL:. What you had to say was good food for thought, though I find myself falling somewhere in the middle. This was my first official trip (I never did one as a teenager), so coming at it only from the perspective of a chaperone has me feeling like my perspective might be a little unbalanced. I might try to post a similar thread in teens or young adults to see if I get more response there. I appreciate your thoughts and input! :cool:
Bless you and your endeavors. :)
Grace and Peace,

-Aaron